sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I lkie the sun but not the high humidity .But I know if it rains it will just get worse after the rain ends ,We get these bad pop up storms when it gets this hot so that worry's me also ,the barometer has been rising fast in the last half hour and that means the storm could be bad if we get one .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is only my second batch of frog eggs this year:confused:

Attachments

• P1020986.jpg
    P1020986.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 402

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think so. My frog population has really been declining the past two years. They don't even enter the big pond always see them in my two creeks. I have been able to count about 6 tadpoles in the creek from the first batch they are about 1.5" long right now. The most frogs I see at any point in any of the ponds is 3. Fours years ago could count about 20 hanging out on the pads and the side.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a ton of snails though. This is just a fraction of what I have in my creeks. Haven't seen my trapdors in over a month now though.

Attachments

• P1020988.jpg
    P1020988.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 275

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I counted about 5 batches of frog eggs, the tads are now getting little legs, some are just starting to swim.

Reaction score
are black tadpoles frogs and brown tadpoles toads ?? ive seen brown ones before and always wondered !
thaught my pump had died earlier but just turned out to be a blockage restricting the flow, makes me think about buying a secondary pump just incase !

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
taherrmann4 said:
I think so. My frog population has really been declining the past two years. They don't even enter the big pond always see them in my two creeks. I have been able to count about 6 tadpoles in the creek from the first batch they are about 1.5" long right now. The most frogs I see at any point in any of the ponds is 3. Fours years ago could count about 20 hanging out on the pads and the side.
They all moved south for the winter and decided to move in here for good! taking good care of them, all 123,456 of them! LOL:nananananana:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
mogsie said:
are black tadpoles frogs and brown tadpoles toads ?? ive seen brown ones before and always wondered !
thaught my pump had died earlier but just turned out to be a blockage restricting the flow, makes me think about buying a secondary pump just incase !
IF that is the case you probably have it backwards, Black, toads brown, frogs, I know green tree frogs, and bull frogs turn brown once they get over about a 1/2" long, Most of the toad tadpoles I have seen stayed balck much longer and didn't start changing colors until just before they turned into toadlets.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WOW to the fireworks on the intercostal, florida! We saw no less then 15 shows going on, the main one reflecting off the water right in front of us. Would post a u tube, but I am sure you all saw tons of fireworks. And not at home so no way to do it right now anyways.

Reaction score
hey f4c i just looked into it a little bit on the web and seems you are correct, frogs and toads tadpoles are pretty much identical but sometimes toads are darker, except frogs lay eggs in clumps and toads lay in long strings apparently . i also read a comment that somebody had wrote saying "Frogs tadpoles are edible and are delicious. Toad tadpoles on the other hand are poisonous":ugh::):ugh:
anybody fancy trying this just to see if it is correct ????

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
here you go mogsie, at least american toads

The eggs of the American Toad are laid in two strings and can hatch in 3–13 days. When hatched the tadpoles are recognizable by their skinny tails in relation to the size of their bodies. They may advance to adulthood in 30–40 days. When metamorphosis is completed, the "toadlets" may stay in the water for a short period of time before they become mostly land based. A mutualistic relationship with Chlorogonium alga, which makes the tadpoles develop faster than normal, has been studied.
Tadpoles have several mechanisms to reduce predation.[1] They avoid predators by swimming in very shallow water, and by swimming close together in schools during the day. Tadpoles also produce toxic chemicals in their skin that discourage some potential predators. Fish have been reported to die after consuming one tadpole; however, most fish quickly learn to avoid eating American Toad tadpoles. The tadpoles are also very small and they are a solid black colour.[2]

Ask a Question