sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can use roofing paper and anything else that may look good .I did get free pond underlayment from a friend in NJ but decided to use up some old roofing paper I had also

Attachments

• new pond 022.JPG
    new pond 022.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 205

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have very sandy soil here and not many rocks at all so I just used old blankets, bedspreads, curtains and some towels in small spaces and doubled it all w/ more of the same so yes you can use pretty much anything soft and protective. Never had any leaks so far

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
leave the old liner in, poke A LOT OF HOLES, or slash it. You don't water to collect between the two. A pitch fork works great have a stabbing party.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Addy1, that's what I'm worried about is water collecting between the 2 liners and forcing the new liner to float. Has anyone else put a new liner over the old without issues?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With lots of holes in the liner, good chance you will be ok. I would stab a ton of holes, slash it, then add a bunch of water to the old pond. See how long it takes to drain out.
If it drains out well you will be fine. OR remove lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just make sure there are no rocks under the old liner .They have a tendency to work there way up .When I pulled my old liner I found a couple under my old underlayment and i knew there was new there when I redid the pond a couple of years ago .I had left the old liner in at that time but I had pulled it just to look under it and there was rocks then also .I just put it back in and punched holes in it and this time decided to just take the whole thing out and start new ,plus i was going bigger

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have been on my knees digging mud and sand and smutz out of that pond for daaaaayyyyyssss. There's no rocks under that liner. Lol. I'm just glad to know you haven't had any problem with water seeping between the 2 liners making your new liner bubble up. Thanks for the heads up Sissy, I am relieved you've had no problems.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
last time a dog shredded my liner trying to get out and this time something chewed big holes in my liner .I think it could have been moles looking for grubs so I spread lots of milky spore in the hole and around the pond .It spreads and kills the grubs .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
dieselplower my ability to really mess stuff up is my secret superhero power. :D
And sissy, what the heck is milky spore? And if getting it involves me milking a unicorn..... lol....

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
O...M.....G.... Did I just find the answer to my prayers?? So I've been kinda stressing about how to figure out how to dig a ledge in the pond. 2 of the sides are full of roots and there is another section that I really can't dig any wider or I won't have room to walk through... And then I saw a post from Priscilla talking about floating planter rings and how she used some pipe insulation, cut into long strips to anchor her water hyacinths to the side of her pond to cover the liner... There was only 1 picture, and I've asked her for more but has anyone else done this???? It was a gorgeous shot. I don't know if WH's are available to buy in MS but I figure it would work with any floating plant.... And now I'm off to investigate floating plants. I really hope that this is an option. Wooooo hooooo, and fingers crossed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no they sell it in lowes and it is a white powder and it kills the grubs that moles are after .I learned the hard way what moles can do ,i would never want some one else to learn that way .You can google it .I had lots of grubs when i was digging my pond bigger and even saw mole holes so it had to be them .When of the mole holes lined up perfectly with the big hole in my liner .He must have been shocked when he got hit with water .I think that liner was only 4 years old also

Ask a Question