The hole in my backyard

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tbendl, Jul 14, 2014.

1. tbendl

tbendl T

I went with the 45 mil (divided by 4). Now don't laugh or shun me but I ended up buying a recycled tarp. I think it's 17 mil. It was 200 and if I love it, I'll redo it with high end EPDM liner. If I hate it, I can rip it out and not feel terrible. If it lasts 3-5 years I'll be tickled.

tbendl, Aug 1, 2014
    addy1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. tbendl

Nepen

lol no I wont laugh :) and oops, that was not an lol at you either :)

My 20 mil is holding up ok for the 2nd year with the worse winter we've seen in NC, so I think you should at least get that long :)

Nepen, Aug 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. tbendl

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

hey if it works it works, we had tarp covering some wood in arizona, lasted for many years out in the full sun.

addy1, Aug 1, 2014
  4. tbendl

snoozer

It is hard not to love a pond. :)

snoozer, Aug 2, 2014
  5. tbendl

Lisaebetten

Keep an eye on your local craigs list. I've bought 2 used LARGE pond kits for $375.00. Both are aquascapes and retail together new almost $4000.00!!!! I bought the 2nd pond because my first skimmer box looked like swiss cheese. They put the skimmer plate on wrong and drilled their own holes!!! That is why I got the send pond for $75.00!!!!!, just for the skimmer box. Now I have back up pumps and everything!

Lisaebetten, Aug 2, 2014
    addy1 likes this.
  6. tbendl

tbendl T

Thanks Lisabetten, I will do that. I have been gone for the last week at a conference so this weekend will be all about the rocks.... Woohoo. :)

tbendl, Aug 7, 2014
  7. tbendl

tbendl T

So I started filling it with water before I left, and of course we had a crazy thunderstorm come through while I was gone blowing the liner back into the pond. Thank goodness the hubby was home to drag it out and weigh it down with some rocks. I am rock hunting this weekend and hopefully can get some of the edging done, weather permitting. Now the plant learning starts. :) However, for now, I have a pond and not some swampy area in my back yard!!

Attached Files:

tbendl, Aug 8, 2014
    j.w likes this.
  8. tbendl

j.w I Love my Goldies

YaY you are moving right along!

j.w, Aug 8, 2014
  9. tbendl

tbendl T

Rocks and plants are harder to find than I thought and we have no pond stores nearby. I guess I'm off to check nurseries. Has anyone had luck finding plants this late in the season from Lowes? I'd just like to get a few algae eaters in since it's been so dang hot here lately.

tbendl, Aug 8, 2014
  10. tbendl

timvz

There are plants that eat algae? I would recommend trying some water hyacinth. A beautiful floating plant with a voracious apetite for nutrients. It won't eat the algae, but it will compete for nutrients. I have a theory that it is pH sensitive, though - not liking pH above 8.0. Also, you can always do well with most hardy lillys. They need pots and fertilizer tabs, especially in a new pond. I would probably start with a couple lillys and some cheap goldfish. Wait a bit for some algae to start developing, which means you've got nutrients of some kind, then try some hyacinth. If you know of other ponders in your local area it is especially helpful to ask them what grows well. Fertilizer tabs may be necessary for a while until it cycles. Perhaps forever for a lilly. Are you in the US? If you don't mind buying online, try pondplants.com. Good selection and very helpful via email.

timvz, Aug 8, 2014
  11. tbendl

tbendl T

I haven't found any ponders nearby yet. I did just get off the phone with a local nursery that may have some lilies but not sure if they sell WH. Hopefully I'll have a chance to go look tomorrow. I will look up pondplants.com. Thanks Timvz, I was looking for an online option.

tbendl, Aug 8, 2014
  12. tbendl

tbendl T

Edging has begun!!!

Attached Files:

tbendl, Aug 9, 2014
  13. tbendl

Lisak1

Wow! Looks great!

You may find some irises on sale at the big box stores - even the straggly looking ones seem to flourish given time. They are tough to kill!

Lisak1, Aug 9, 2014
  14. tbendl

j.w I Love my Goldies

Looks really nice! I like those flat stones and I would be sitting there on the side w/ my feet hanging in the water and letting the fish nibble on my toes. You aren't having fish tho..................oh see what you will miss :LOL:

j.w, Aug 9, 2014
  15. tbendl

tbendl T

I go back and forth on the fish. Although yesterday while working on the pond, I huge hawk swept in and tried to grab a bird. I am now worried that fish=hawks=my sweet kitty Calvin being abducted by those flying a-holes.... Twisty logic but you know, whatever... Here's a few more pictures, I'm starting the waterfall and winging it. Thanks j.w. I'm pretty happy with it so far. And Lisak1, I will check at the box stores. Here's a few updated pictures

Attached Files:

tbendl, Aug 11, 2014
    j.w likes this.
  16. tbendl

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I have tons of hawks here, they ignore the fish, mainly go after frogs and other little creepy crawlies.

addy1, Aug 13, 2014
  17. tbendl

tbendl T

I'm all about them getting the other creepy crawlies... Although I'd be sad about the frogs, they're kinda cute.

tbendl, Aug 13, 2014
  18. tbendl

Lisaebetten

Lisaebetten, Aug 13, 2014
  19. tbendl

Lisaebetten

I love that spot in the middle that jets into the pond! It looks like water should be spilling onto it from a falls box and then spilling in both sides of the pond!!!

20. tbendl

Lisaebetten

Start asking local farmers, be brave and go know on the door even if you don't know them (take your hubby for protection)!!! You will find a link to a pile of rock somewhere. Craigslist again, I got 90% of mine for free by keeping my eyes peeled, asking around and being in the right spot at the right time. Although I have been planning my pond for over a year now so I knew to start looking before I needed them.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question