The Importance of check flow valves on air lines

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A few days ago because our ;ocal water authority is digging up and replacing old sewrage likes in our neighbourhood I decided to buy twelve non return check valves or as I term them stop valves for our air hoses just in case they hit an electric cable and short out the whole area.
I'd been meaning to fit some for 5 years but never got around to buying some.
Their job if people havent heard of them before is to allow airflow to the airstones ut if the air stops they spring shut so that no water is allowed to drain down the air hos into your air pump shorting it out.
If this happens ever to you simply drain the air pump then remove its cover , then turn it upside down and leave it for about a week before putting the lid back on and setting it up again.
If you dont have a spare air pump (we have) then your in trouble so you see the importance of them.
Well this was brought home to me today when I shorted everything and the main breakers clicked off , I'd plugged in a brand new hair dryer we purchased , and "BANG" a spark hot out of the back of it and everything failed.
So you can see the imporance of fitting these valves paying £2.00 each for a peice of mind or as little as $4.00 US

http://www.amazon.com/Non-return-Check-Valves-Aquarium-Pump/dp/B005HTT1P4

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
put it in a closed container of rice also helps .i had one that got wet and figure if rice worked on my camera it would work on the aerator and 3 weeks later it was fine .Rice absorbed moisture .Dummy me left my digital camera out on the patio table and found it after a rain storm and still taking pics with it 2 years later

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is so weird that you wrote about this. We have a big air pump on our aquarium and it has the check valve on it. Last night I noticed that there were no bubbles. The air pump was full of water. We've had this pump a few years and the valve always worked when the electric went off. Not sure what happened that made it fail. We blew the pump out with the air hose and it's working now. Will be buying a new check valve.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good advice! I have check valves on all my air hoses, but just goes to show that you still have to keep an eye on things!

Hair dryer, huh, Dave?

Reaction score
I have never used any check valves in the past as I always install my air pump several feet above the water level. This prevents backflow of water if the pump shuts off just the same as a check valve, if you have the luxury to install the pump in this manner.

Gordy

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
[QUOTE="Mmathis, post: 213864, member:

Hair dryer, huh, Dave?[/QUOTE]

Hey, he looks like he still has quite a bit of hair! :D
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That is so weird that you wrote about this. We have a big air pump on our aquarium and it has the check valve on it. Last night I noticed that there were no bubbles. The air pump was full of water. We've had this pump a few years and the valve always worked when the electric went off. Not sure what happened that made it fail. We blew the pump out with the air hose and it's working now. Will be buying a new check valve.
Do you smoke or do you use areosole sprays, or furnature polish, air freshener etc over time all this residue will build up on anything that is silicone and after a whilte it becomes sticky.
When sticky obviously things get stuck and thus your aquarium draining through your air pump. ,
With a bit of knowledge you can get right into the Aquarium filter and clean these flaps try waishing them with soapy water and clean the area where they sit along with any pipes. ,
Try flushing washing up liquid into your vcheck valves it may help clean the valve thus extending their life. but make sure that it is cleaned of any soapy residue before this and is dry and the stopper working again before [putting it back on the tank.
You'll fine you can extend the usage of your equipment by years if they are all well maintained both inside your house and more imprtantly outside.

Dave.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have never used any check valves in the past as I always install my air pump several feet above the water level. This prevents backflow of water if the pump shuts off just the same as a check valve, if you have the luxury to install the pump in this manner.

Gordy
Sonetimes Gordy you just havent got the space to put them up above so our are sitiuated about halfay down on a ledge speially created for them otherwise they would have had to rest on the floor which we didnt want,

Dave

Reaction score
Some good advice there! All my old tanks had these valves fitted & for the small cost of them can save you money long term.

Ask a Question