The importance of keeping your submersible pump off the bottom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would like to stress keeping your submersible pump off the bottom.

We've had this discussion many times, but I want to explain this to anyone new to the hobby.

It seems no matter how well you clean the bottom, debris still somehow collects on the bottom.

I keep my pump off the bottom by suspending it with a string. This pump feeds my bog filter.

I was getting a slow down of water returning from the bog to the pond. I thought my bog needed its manifolds flushed. I flushed them and it seemed good, but a few days later I had to do it again.

I thought to myself, the pump intake can't be clogged, I cleaned it in early Spring. I pulled the pump and there was a thick blanket of debris clogging the intake holes! Then I realized it had worked it's way to the bottom somehow.
I dropped the pump back in and made sure it was indeed suspended well above the bottom by tying the string securely to a sizable rock.

It's now been several days and the flow has not depleted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My pump is in my skimmer & it still manages to get clogged up on a regular basis. We do have a particularly high debris load, though, living in the woods. A lot of the small stuff gets right through the skimmer basket holes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pump is in my skimmer & it still manages to get clogged up on a regular basis. We do have a particularly high debris load, though, living in the woods. A lot of the small stuff gets right through the skimmer basket holes.
That is exactly why I no longer use a skimmer.
Albeit, my skimmer wasn't top of the line by any means, but small debris would get past the pads and constantly jamb up the pump's impeller on a daily basis.
We have a lot of trees too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That is exactly why I no longer use a skimmer.
Albeit, my skimmer wasn't top of the line by any means, but small debris would get past the pads and constantly jamb up the pump's impeller on a daily basis.
We have a lot of trees too.
I can't even imagine what my pond would look like withOUT a skimmer. Small debris is one thing, dealing without an outlet for ALL the TONS of forest debris without some mechanical removal boggles my mind. I think I'll just keep on keeping on with my current system. Once again lending credence to the mantra: Every pond is different & no two systems are the same.

Ask a Question