The Koi have spawned

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The Koi have spawned and eggs started hatching at day 4 & 5. The water temperature after I noticed the eggs was 68 degrees F.

Sunday I added 40 Water Hyacinth to the pond and the adults went crazy. I think this is what they we waiting for to start the process. Monday eggs started turning up and continued till Tuesday. Here we are Friday and they are hatching.

I had a veggie, cascading filter set up and a 10 gallon tank, besides the pond itself to manage the eggs.

I have ordered several brine shrimp hatcheries and a pound of eggs to feed them.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
hay DrDave my granddaughter came over yesterday,, had to cut it short.... so your raising the babys in the 10 gal tank , how long do you keep them thier?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank with several air stones and a Water Hyacinth in it for those I have been able to catch. Some were hatched in there and others have been moved there.

I also have set of cascading tubs for growing water plants that I just set up the day before the eggs were laid and there are hundreds in there as well.

I have no idea how many will survive that were hatched in the pond. Lots of hiding places and about 20 large koi to chase them.

Right now they are so small, it is very difficult to see them. They are no bigger than 1/2 a grain of rice and they are clear. 2 black eyes give them away if you are really focusing on them.

The plan is to keep them there till they become too much for the water chemistry. Then I have a 30 gallon, 50 gallon and an 80 gallon tank that I can start transferring them to as they take form.

As for the ones elsewhere, tubs and pond, they will be captured and graded as well when the time comes.

I still have about 50 from last year that need ponds occupying the larger tanks. Even at 3-5 bucks each, they are hard to place. I went to Petco the other day and saw more than 10 dead ones in their tank that they were selling Koi for 15 bucks each. I mentioned it to the salesperson and they did nothing while I was there.

At least mine are healthy.

Ask a Question