The life of goldfish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I have three ponds now and the first goes back to 1999 and they are full of goldfish plus 3 large koi which are about
12 years old. I haven't bought a goldfish for 7 years or so and I have lost a few to disease but not very many. There are dozens of active fish and if I look closely I can spot tiny fish swimming among the plant life. So...what has been your experiences with longevity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just threw a bunch of small ,New goldfish in with my large ones...one of them looks like he has been shredded a bit by some of the others. I noticed it when i was feeding them...he was swimming funny and kind of seemed stuck pointing down on a 45 degree angle. I looked closer and one of his side fins looked gone and he was raggedy looking. I isolated him in a basket in the pond. Not sure what to do with him. Dont know if he will make it. He may be a weak fish, and not accepted...shame.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've had the pond for a bit less than 10 years. None of the original fish are alive. Some died in the beginning before I knew about the N cycle. Some died mysteriously or disappeared when I was on vacation. The big ones mostly got eaten before I locked down the pond with netting. There's a greenbelt and a bit of wildlife around me and the fish is like a buffet to them if they can get to it.

Ask a Question