The little hole that could...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Got a lot done this weekend. Got the edging in, 20 bags of pea gravel rinsed and in the bog. Transplanted some of the plants that Addy sent me as well as some from the garden. I enjoyed sitting outside after it all and listening to the water, watching the dragonflies and frogs, and realizing that I'm almost done.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 303
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 267

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
tbendl updated The little hole that could...

So like so many others I inherited a big ole hole in my yard when I bought my house.
43009-4b8cd0ca40a28eb1f3cf933c984e8f31.jpg

3 feet deep with 2 feet of sand and muck and all kinds of crap in it. Build a pond someone said, (probably me but I don't want to point fingers).
So I started digging. Broke an ankle the first year pulling muck out. Tried using a little garden wagon then a rubbish can to haul the sand and dirt and muck out, that didn't work. Finally bought a wheelbarrow! Woohoo I was on my way.
Dug out the sides of the pond, had a near death experience with a snake showing me the huge gaping whole in my liner. Still the thrill of having a pond lingered with the thought of bubbling water and cold beer so I persevered.
Then came the day... I was almost done. Hole was dug, liner was in. Water was a flowin'.
I was ready for the cold bever.... Wait, s&@$ I have to edge the pond and I want a water feature, and how in the hell do I filter this mass of water.
Off to Lowe's for pallet after pallet of rock and edging and stone. Almost done!
Sh$&@ I need a big stack of rocks for my waterfall... Back to Lowe's for, you guessed it, rock. Concrete rock, pea gravel oh and don't forget the big waterfall rock I need... Which Lowe's doesn't carry
Sh$&& now I need plants.... Which Lowe's doesn't carry.
Found a pond store,
Got a lily and some plants planted. Oh until the
Lily decided to float and I was attacked by a vicious mutant frog.
Still no cold beverage but I've moved on to Valium and therapy.
Build a pond they said... I hate they.
And I still wish I had a cold beverage.
Truthfully this has been enjoyable giving up my sanity to this big ole hole in the ground.
I wish someone had said knit a sweater instead.
To all of you who have done this, hats off to you!

View updates to this showcase item...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh looking better and better T and those pavers are nice, bog looks good, plants fitting in nicely but don't ever, ever think you are done................it does not let you stop, there is always something you want to tweak or add :joyful:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1st round done...............DING................ok time to move that rock, tote that plant, fertilize this, trim off that, tidy up, net the gunk, add more plants, pot up lilies, take more photo's.................I tell you it never stops grasshopper............you will see but you get a lot of beers every time you succeed on a job and think you are done so it's all good

Reaction score
Wow Your back yard looks so much nicer now! No wonder your husband may want some fish! You have put a lot of hard work in a short amount of time and everyone who sees it will love it!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you all. It has been a really tough and rewarding project. And Lisaebetten, we were talking about how it has changed the whole yard just this morning.

Ask a Question