The Lone Survivor

PondJunkie

Aquatically Addicted
Reaction score
Atlanta Suburbs, Occasionally Brighton, UK
So a while back I had a Heron visit:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/failed-my-fish-t4710.html

Today I decided to get an early start on mucking, as I've slacked off a bit over the Winter. Suddenly I see a flash of orange. I figure, "that has to be a bright leaf". I continue mucking, when the leaf moves in away that leaves generally don't. Sure enough, I have one lone survivor from the Great Heron Massacre of 2009!

I decided to stop mucking after this, combine with the discovery of a tadpole in some of the muck I pulled out that was nearly as big as my thumb.

Life is amazing sometimes.

Off to the local mega-depot to get some netting supplies. Between that & the dogs, that &@#$ing heron shouldn't stand a chance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So far.............knock on a lily pad............I have been successful at keeping the bird at bay. I have a wire fence around the pond and then I have poles w/ fish line a bit higher than the fence and I have silver colored mylar strips blowing in the wind along w/ wind chimes and whirly gadgets and lots of shrubbery planted along the edge and a deep sided pond so as to discourage the wading. Before I did all of this the bird used to come and snack but now I haven't seen him and I still have all my fish. If this fails in the long run I must go the nets but I just hate to do that as it ruins the look of the pond to me and the pond sits right out in front of our house next to the porch :yikesu:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
JW,

I guess that's better than the neighbors seeing you running across the yard with broom in your hand screaming like a banchee. Good idea, whatever works right?

Happy ponding,

Rich :yikesu:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yeah Rich if this doesn't work tho I could set up a mechanical type robot that senses when something comes near and dress it all up like me w/ large waving broom in hands and screaming voice .................what do ya think?
grannybroom.jpg

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
j.w said:
Yeah Rich if this doesn't work tho I could set up a mechanical type robot that senses when something comes near and dress it all up like me w/ large waving broom in hands and screaming voice .................what do ya think?
grannybroom.jpg

LOL. I'd buy one.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Did you ever see the lady in the movie twister ? :lol:
She had a lot off spinning stuff :yikesu: Too

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
laughing.gif
Let me think about this one for a minute................I think it would be cheaper if I just ran out there w/ my own broom whenever I see the darn bird :regular_waving_emot

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
JW,

How about a trade off? Set up one of those motion sensor driveway alarms that alerts you when someone pulls into your driveway. You could aim it at your pond and adjust the sensitivity for something bigger than a cat. If your busy doing something else, you would get an intruder alert when something like a heron decides to show up when your back is turned. Just a thought.

Happy ponding,

Rich :regular_waving_emot

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You know you can't use those things in the winter as they will freeze up and that's when I need it most............when the lily pads are not covering the pond for fish to hide under. And also our pond sits right next to the path to our front door and I could just see somebody walking over to take a look at the pond and oops :regular_waving_emot

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are run by water and hooked to your hose so if we get a freeze anything w/ water in it will freeze and it would crack the plastic and bust the hose too.:regular_waving_emot

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think he is talking about electronics not water. Motion sensors that are IR (infra red) work even better in cold climates since they sense heat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh I thought he was talking about those motion sensor scarecrows that shoot water when something comes near them..............Sorry Rich
hippy009.gif

Ask a Question