The Mother's Day gift that grew

Reaction score
Hi folks,

The story of my pond(s) started on a Mother's Day morning about 10 years ago. My daughters, one not even in school yet decided it was time for Mom to finally get her "dream pond". They arrived in my room full of giggles and mystery announcing that I HAD to come with them. They took me outside to the yard where there was a large tub full of water, and scattered with flowers that they had picked. "Look Mommy! now you have a pond", they announced.

Of course the obsession had begun, we swiftly moved from the tub to a small preformed pond and fountain and a single goldfish (donated by a neighbor) to my now approx. 1000 gal. pond with 5 koi ,and a lionhead oranda and to ryukins that visit for the summers.

This is very much an urban pond, I live in a row home and have a row home sized side yard over shadowed by 2 fully mature Tulip trees. I am pretty sure we won't be growing any bigger, since the pond now seems appropriately proportioned to they yard, but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement and innovation!
Gretchen

Reaction score
great story! Yes, that's how it starts. My fish craze started when I was a wee one and someone gave me a goldfish in a tiny glass bowl. It promptly died, but got me on a kick to figure out how I could make one survive.

Amazing to go from a tiny fish bowl to thousands of gallons of water! LOL!

Ask a Question