The New Guy

Reaction score
Hey everybody! My name is Bruce and I'm from New Jersey. My father and I have had a pond for about 5 years. We recently upgraded from a smaller pond tub to a larger lined pond. We took down our above ground pool and dug out a pond in my backyard last year. I have a pic of some of my fish below.

DSCF3267.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Bruce. :( How big is your pond? How many fish? How big are they? some look very big! What are you running for filter?

Reaction score
Hey fishin4cars! Thanks for the welcome. Our pond is about 6,500 gallons. We have 12 koi, 3 fan tails, and about 14 comets. It seems like a lot, but they have a great amount of room to move around. We try not to over crowd them.

My girlfriend gives our fish names. Our biggest fish is named Goldie (he's the yellow one in the picture). He is about 18-20" long now. We've had him from the beginning.

We are running this big bio filter with a skimmer that we bought from Garden State Koi. We also have UV lights. We tried this thing called the IonGen, but the fish seemed like they didn't like it. It made them move pretty slow and it was set on low. As soon as we turned it off they started to act like their old selves.

This morning we started working on a homemade bio filter. My dad looks on this forum and saw Dr. Daves design and read about the great results it gives. (Thanks Dr. Dave!) So now we are going to run our regular bio filter along with Dr. Daves. Our water quality is always good, but we figured why not try to make it clearer.

Here is some pictures of our pond and the filter we are working on:

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome real mckoi and hate to say this but never heard of a NJ real mckoi and spelling it that way is showing you love those koi LOL I really like the paver patio around the pond .I can see your a do it your selfer like me .One way to save money and get the satisfaction of saying did it myself

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's what I'm talking about! That's a introduction that makes a statement! Nice looking pond! I like hearing they are doing good but what the heck, add some more filter! Doesn't sound like your to overloaded at all, I would probably have it more overloaded, LOL But that's good you have a good collection of fish, plenty of room for them to grow and that's a sharp looking pond! Glad to have you join the group!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Bruce. Welcome to our little group of pond fanatics. You have a really nice pond and fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome bruce, very nice pond and fish. You all did a great job!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bruce,
A lot are thinking of doing a raised pond like that, with the blocks. Why don't you, if you wish, start a thread on how you did it. There are a lot of ??'s about how to support it, rebar, concrete etc or is it a stand alone, or a frame then the block. Or does the block without help support the water etc ..............

Yours looks wonderful. Your thread would help those that are want to do just what you did.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words on the pond guys! I think we have pictures of the whole process of us making the pond, so I'll try to get those together and make a post of how we did it step by step.

Ask a Question