Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Strange here in Chicagoland too - we have yet to have full ice coverage on the pond. Once we came very close, but then the temps swung up again and we're back to open water. This is a first for us!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our pond totally got covered with ice, for a few days. Had nephew turn on breathers about a week ago, pond is just water again.

All will be turned off when we get home. They don't suck enough electricity to worry about turning off again.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond's been frozen for what seems like forever, but still not as much of a winter as we normally get. Not super cold, and really not much snow.

Great photos @RobAmy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish i could have left the pond running all winter but i was not willing to roll the dice. I would not have been able to act quickly to a problem but i am thinking about making the sides of stream, and water falls ice jamb proof or at least make it very difficult to create a back up.

As always rob some great shots !!!!

Get ready the to hear a lot about climate change this year A LOT. MAY BE TIME TO START ADVERTISING HOUSE BOATS, RUM SWIZZLES AND FLIP FLOPS IN ANTARCTICA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Wish i could have left the pond running all winter but i was not willing to roll the dice. I would not have been able to act quickly to a problem but i am thinking about making the sides of stream, and water falls ice jamb proof or at least make it very difficult to create a back up.

I just disconnected the waterfall part of mine from the pump and left the pump blasting straight into the main pond with the box filter on it (taking out the waterfall also took out the biofilter, but it's 10 degrees outside so I don't think the biofilter would have been alive anyway). It's turbulent like a spa in there, but hasn't frozen at all. I also have a heater in there, but with the amount of movement in the water with the full power of the waterfall pump churning down in there about 18 inches under the surface I don't think it could freeze. Harder to do if you have it all plumbed in solid, of course.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think the biofilter would have been alive anyway
I look at it this way man said for decades all life on planet earth was carbon based well we know now that's not the case as they have found silicone base life in hot volcanic vents at the bottom of the ocean and i'd be there are others. so to say that the bio would die due to some cold weather i don't buy into. yes strains of bacteria that made it to my pond on a duck that took a break for a day in my pond from Florida might have a bacteria that cant tolerate freezing temps. there's plenty of local strains that thrive in cold weather. yea never know after the first year s winter i found that i need to keep air and water circulating in my bog as the fish that were growing in there i don't believe made it and there was some protein foam in the spring when i went to fire it up again so from now on air and circulation are a must.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
so to say that the bio would die due to some cold weather i don't buy into

I meant my bio-filter specifically. I was using aquarium benefitial bacteria that I know are not cold-tolerant strains. I'd considered getting some winter blend bacteria but decided to just cover it and see what happens with no bio-filter over the winter. Worst case I drain it completely and start over, it's only 70 gallons so no biggie. I put it in late last year and didn't have enough time to get it fully established before winter came.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love all your images!!
This post makes me think I need a stream! ...maybe a pondless water feature designed just for birds and squirrels
smtapfingers.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Gorgeous pictures ! I'm anxious to turn on my little bog next month and am hopeful I could figure out a way to leave it running for the winter for wild life......I would have to figure out a way to prevent pipes from freezing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Gorgeous pictures ! I'm anxious to turn on my little bog next month and am hopeful I could figure out a way to leave it running for the winter for wild life......I would have to figure out a way to prevent pipes from freezing.

Heat tape? Of course if it's all buried, not going to be that simple.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water pipe inside a larger pipe wrapped in heat tape for the first foot going underground insulated at the surface with fiberglass.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sweet photo's, Im in Ontario I still had ice at that point.

Ask a Question