The porch is growing

Reaction score
Well you know I added 12X14 feet of new porch. After getting the swing, chairs, stereo and fridge it wasn't big enough. So I've added another 8X14 feet, it's huge. I have it roofed and have the wires run for the lights and speakers, so tomorrow I start hanging T 111 exterior siding as a ceiling so it will be easier to screen in. Pictures coming soon.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go for it bullfrog! bet it looks great

Reaction score
Until I can knock down the dust from the road next to us, a pond would be mud. Any biofilter would plug up real fast. I'll be planting 30 aleagnus along that fence, but it may take them 3 years to get tall enough to knock down the dust. Plenty more to do till then.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Is this it Bullfrog cuz I think you may have spelled it wrong and I could only find this one that was pretty close to your spelling. Sounds like a just what you need and guess it gets nice smelling flowers also. That video is of the beach right out front of the hotel we stayed at in Hawaii......small world!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool and then you can put your pond in after they grow up and protect you from all the dust balls hopefully! Meanwhile I guess you have to BBQ out there in it? Oh well just gives ya a bit more crunchy charcoal feeling to your burgers!

Reaction score
I'm smoking chickens tomorrow, Mexican food tonight. I'll run the wiring until it gets hot, then go down to the river with a case of iced down beer. Life is good here on the river. Still trying to make things work with Vicki. The divorce is final but as you know, I got her out of jail and gave her another chance. I told her before I did this that I wasn't paying for the hot checks that she wrote, thousands of dollars worth. She applied for SSI and will probably get it. I told her the first three need to go to pay off her bad checks but she says she is getting clothes instead. If she is actually that hardheaded and stupid, eventually they will come and arrest her and I won't let her move back in if that happens. Too much drama when she is around.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Was hoping things would be better for you guys together Bullfrog. Sorry to hear they are not so good. Sometimes as you know a person has to hit rock bottom before they want the help they so desperately need. I hope tho her rock bottom doesn't hurt you too badly along the way..............anymore than it already has. You are such a kind guy and have put up w/ so much and I sure hope things take a turn for the better for you and Vicki too. I will put you both in my prayers. I'm glad you have your nice spot on the river to enjoy and think things out. Esther hooked me up w/ these little daily devotions a long time ago that I get by email each day and this is the one I got today: http://odb.org/

Reaction score
She has a lot of really good qualities and it is worth trying to save this relationship. We were sitting by the river last week drinking a few beers, I sat thinking about what had happened and watched her play with the dogs in the river. When she came and sat down I told her, "It's like a roasted chicken."

"What is?"

"You know how good a hot, roasted chicken is right when it comes off of the smoker? What part do you want first?"

"The breast."

"Yes, the best part. You stick a fork in it and the juices come running out, the smell, the taste, it's all just so good. But after a while, you only have the legs, wings and back left, the bony parts. Still, you don't just throw them away. We can't just take the best parts of each other's lives and then throw the rest away, we can't just eat the breast out of each other."

OK, it was a man analogy, but that's how we neanderthals think.

Anyway, back to the porch. The roof is on, the screen is up and just needs a little stretching but the difference is amazing. No fly or mosquitoes, Vicki actually slept out there last week to watch a storm. Now to hide the wiring and the rafters so it doesn't have that "industrial" look. Vicki can't lift or hold up one end of a 4X8 foot sheet of exterior siding, so i have to work alone which takes a little thinking. I cut the sheets in half, 2X8 foot and hung a rope loop on one end where it will go. Then I had a clamp ready for both sides of the other end. I lifted the end and slid it through the rope, suspending it long enough to get a clamp on. Awkward, but it works. you can still see the old, ugly well house in the background, but that will come soon as i finish the porch, I'm tired of looking at it.

porch2002.jpg

The wire that the lights will go on has to be continuous, in other word, wire to one light then go on to the next so I just made loops leaving plenty of wire to put in plugs and sockets. I'll drill a hole in these pieces and stick the wire down through for the sockets and plugs. There will be two sets of lights, one regular lights with dimmers for when we have company or want to throw darts or eat. The other switch will operate our "party lights" which will be black lights and blue colored bulbs, just enough to see to move around, but more private and fun..

porch2003.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good that you two are trying to work it out.

You always come up w/ some good idea's on how to get a scratch your head type problem figured out!
The screened porch is a wonderful idea for there. I bet it cools ya off big time from the blazing Texas sun. You got a fan going up there or will ya?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No ones perfect, we all have faults, just have to work on the parts that aren't working and hope for the best! My hubby has lots of things that I would love to change, but if it does not happen, I still love him, couldn't think of life without him, there would be a big hole in my heart. You sound like part of you still loves her, and she makes you happy, but you got to decide if her drama is to much stress :)

Ask a Question