THe road to a DIY Zakki vacuum sieve

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Gummby8, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Gummby8

Gummby8

In a previous thread I had asked if there was a way to have a sieve above the water line. Because I have a 5000 gallon hole in my backyard now and am sick of digging.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...sieve-above-the-water-line.22766/#post-370356

@DoDad recommended a Zakki sieve. A sieve that is driven by vacuum pressure. It looks like his products are top notch, and with them come a top notch price :) something I can't afford. So far I have only found 1 other person attempt to re-create a vacuum sieve and the lid on his cracked, and that was the end of it.
    http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?152071-DIY-Pressurized-Pre-Filter&highlight=

So here I am chronicling my own adventure to replicate a vacuum sieve.

At first I was curious as to how the vacuum was created. Pond pumps don't like to suck air. Then I realized you could create an air vacuum, using a pond pump that was sucking water. All you had to do was have a vacuum vessel partially filled with water to start. pump out the water, and tada, you create a vacuum that will draw water up and out of the pond.

I had some old small water pump stuff from a previous project so I threw together a small mock vacuum sieve, and it worked.

Part 1 =
    Part 2 =

Now to sourse a reliable pressure vessel for the large scale recreation.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Gummby8, Mar 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Gummby8

Fisher Mahisherna

Where is the sieve part of the mini version?

Fisher Mahisherna, Mar 24, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Gummby8

Gummby8

Just trying to show how the water is actually pulled up over the pond water line using the vacuum, the sieve would be inside the box.

I have sourced a container, lid, and bulwarks that I think will work well for this application. Now I need to order them and the actual pond pump

Gummby8, Mar 24, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question