The Rock

Reaction score
Here is my weekend pond story. My neighbor let me take up all of his big rocks in his lawn so, I've been collecting a bunch and putting in my pond. Some of these are quite large (800lbs est.). There was this one particular rock that he said if I can get it, I can have it. I see this as sort of a challenge and it's a really nice salt and pepper granite rock. I'm estimating it weighs somewhere between 3,500-4000lbs, its really big. After about and hour of digging and tugging I do manage to get it out with my backhoe which is amazing to me. Love my little tractor.

Now time to move it. Tractor won't budge it no matter what I do. Get the truck and try to pull in forward, nope. Try to pull in reverse, nope. Get my friend over and he pulls with the truck and I push with the tractor. This works but, with frequent stops to place conduit under the rock to roll on. 1 hour and 1,000 ft and we are to the pond.

Placing the rock. I wanted to dig a pocket for the rock and my friend did not think it would be necessary. I went with his thought and we proceeded to work it into place with my backhoe and the conduit. We had the flat top level and in position perfectly. Pulled away with the backhoe and sat and admired for about 1 minute and then it happened. The whole thing went down like the titanic. It started off real slow, we both sat and watch it slowly, look at each other, then it took off for the depths of the pond. Created such a big wave the water went over the dam on the back side.

Not tried yet but, I'm curious if I can get it back out of my pond. Maybe next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 337
Reaction score
Well it should weight a lot less in the water so im sure if you can wrap it in chains you can pull it back out so long as you can get the traction. Also next time you have to move something like that, if you just get something like an old hood and chain that to the back of your truck, once you get the rock onto the hood you should be able to just tow it/drag it.

Reaction score
Yea, I didn't have any spare car hoods lying around but I have heard that trick. I have a sled I built out of plywood but, this rock was way too big for it. With some chain and come along and help from my backhoe I think I can retrieve it, maybe After all that work, I'm not giving up on it quite yet.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That rock has a life of it own...
dont let it get the best of ya
good post

Reaction score
So over the weekend I battled the rock once again and this time won. My neighbor came over to help and in process he fell in the pond but, that was our only casualty. This time I have it chained up so it does not try to run away again. It is sitting on a ledge I dug out but still don't trust it. I'm going to give is a few days to let settle before un leashing it.

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 303

Ask a Question