THE SADDEST PART OF THE PONDING YEAR

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, it's here again! That part of the year when the GPF gets quieter, with fewer and fewer posted topics. Fewer and fewer problems to solve. Fewer and fewer new people to meet.

Guess we'll just have to keep things livened up -- let's have a party, y'all!

... and pray for spring!

Hoping everyone's fishies fare well. Hoping this "down" time is fruitful and that we can all come up with new, good ideas for making our future ponding experiences the best ever!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Think spring Think spring .Still pond looks great and have to go down and take last 3 plants out of filter

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my fish will be fine, indoors.
I will be worried about the frogs until spring though.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my ponding exoerience could only improve with larger ponds. i definately cant complain... no worries with anything in the pond outside. and 232 koi in my basement pond. all safe and sound, in 58* water, eating twice a day. no preditors, no worries! they have it better than i do. i don't have a winter, and a summer home!!! nor maid service, nor food service. wow, i'm actually kind of jealous! lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and they have you to thank for that and all your hard work .I am glad in a way it does not get as cold as you get .Glenn told me he was getting snow in Flatrock Michigan .We are getting a sprinkle now and then now and temp is down to 40 degrees now

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never owned a fish tank so pond fish are my first .Was a newbie but learned from knowing my fish and there habits .But do wish I had never gotten koi .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
sissy said:
never owned a fish tank so pond fish are my first .Was a newbie but learned from knowing my fish and there habits .But do wish I had never gotten koi .
Sissy, Why do you wish you'd never gotten koi? Because they are destructive to plants? I sometimes long for the simpler days of the few feeder fish in a small pond, when we bought this house. They had never been fed, just lived off of algae and bugs.

I've put my pond to bed, just in the nick of time, as we got snow last night.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi get big and are fussy about water that is why I have 2 filters .They are more work but they are more loving also .They love to be petted like a dog and love there belly rubs .But they produce more waste than goldfish and take more time I just don't have these days .I did not know this hen i got them and sure never thought the 4 inch fish 10 years later would be over 2 feet long .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Every year at this time I start wishing I still had my fish room with the 24 or so aquariums, but the two tanks in the basement will have to do. Well, that and the three large containers with turtles and goldfish. Hey, maybe we could get a forum for aquariums added here!? It would save me going all over the web in a desperate attempt to find information.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great idea since so many ponders have either indoor ponds or fish tanks ,they are about the same I would guess .Maybe pond sight here just needs to add another thread for that .

Reaction score
Mmathis said:
Yep, it's here again! That part of the year when the GPF gets quieter, with fewer and fewer posted topics. Fewer and fewer problems to solve. Fewer and fewer new people to meet.

Guess we'll just have to keep things livened up -- let's have a party, y'all!

... and pray for spring!

Hoping everyone's fishies fare well. Hoping this "down" time is fruitful and that we can all come up with new, good ideas for making our future ponding experiences the best ever!
Couldnt agree with you more, TM. I woke up to snow this morning :yikesu: , which generally does not happen for this time of year for me - March seems like a long way off. :cold:

Ask a Question