The saddest pond day

Reaction score
When we get ready to work on this I'm going to post pictures so you guys can chime in - you all have the best suggestions!

@herzausstahl - We do have a second pump, but because of the way our pond is plumbed, I don't know how we would use an emergency pump, especially on a frozen pond. That would mean dropping a pump into the pond - impossible in a polar vortex - and having exposed hoses. I did pump out the underground water back up into the bog when I thought this would be a fast fix, so at least the bog is full of water which should keep my plants alive. But that required a sump pump and a garden hose which would work fine in less challenging weather conditions. But no way would that have been enough water movement to keep the waterfall flowing. And an exposed hose would have frozen in -40 degrees I would imagine.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
When we get ready to work on this I'm going to post pictures so you guys can chime in - you all have the best suggestions!

@herzausstahl - We do have a second pump, but because of the way our pond is plumbed, I don't know how we would use an emergency pump, especially on a frozen pond. That would mean dropping a pump into the pond - impossible in a polar vortex - and having exposed hoses. I did pump out the underground water back up into the bog when I thought this would be a fast fix, so at least the bog is full of water which should keep my plants alive. But that required a sump pump and a garden hose which would work fine in less challenging weather conditions. But no way would that have been enough water movement to keep the waterfall flowing. And an exposed hose would have frozen in -40 degrees I would imagine.

Only way then would be to have it sitting on the bottom ahead of time with a 1-2 ft pvc attached to the end to direct the flow of water. Have the cord outside the pond ready to connect then. So nothing you could’ve done this year. Yeah that polar vortex was fun. Not every day kids off school for cold.

Reaction score
My heart still sinks every time I look out the window. When the pond was still snow covered, it wasn't such a constant reminder. Now that it's all melted, it's a hard thing to look at. And I know there's still one more big dead fish in there somewhere that I still have to find. Not looking forward to that.

I need a little spring time, a little green around the pond, a working waterfall and I'll be fine!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
I feel bad for you and can completely understand your feelings. Spring is just around the corner and we'll all be busy tending to plants and ponds....you're sure to feel better then :) Hang on , just a little longer.

Ask a Question