The simple things.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
The weekend is here. Took last weekend off from the pond due to weather but set aside this one to tinker a bit with some ideas and continue prepping for liner day. Not too long ago I went through a horrible ordeal. Those of you who have had experience wth alcoholism know exactly what I speak of. I nearly lost everything including my life. Something about flat lining on a hospital table with your wife and closest friends in the room has a way of finally pulling one’s head out of one’s ass. The road to one year of sobriety has been long, scary, exhausting, uncomfortable and the most incredible experience. Where is this going? I’ve begun to notice parallels between my fish keeping and my road to sobriety. Patience, nurturing, hard work, and acceptance being foremost. The results are in. I am happier person than I’ve ever been in 20+ years and my tanks look great. My fish are healthy and happy. Yes, fishkeeping has become my zen. I live a chaotic life. My work is intense and being a firefighter has its moments as well. When the the treadmill gets cranking too fast and I begin to lose the trail, all I have to do is stop, pick up a net, test kit, siphon, whatever and get to work. Everything slows down and the mind begins to clear leaving what’s really important or bothering me. I cannot convey the sense of serenity I have gained back due to my tanks and my new pond project. So, to wrap up I continue to take one day at a time and enjoy the little things that have brought me to this little nirvana. I wish all of you the best and I am always willing to speak about my experience if anyone thinks it could help them. This is one of the keystones of my recovery. Peace pond dwellers and enjoy this massive puzzle with missing pieces we call life.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What an inspiring post @Sparky !

I've not had the experience you've lived through, but I do know that becoming pond keepers changed our lives, too. My husband has a chronic illness that makes travel very difficult for us, so our pond became our backyard vacation spot. When I walk in the door after work during pond season I walk straight out the back door, right to the pond. We spend a good hour just relaxing and chatting and enjoying the sunshine - it's restorative.

And the pond build itself was a wonderful experience for our family. My husband decided that our son - who was 18 at the time and fresh off his first year of college - needed a challenge so he tasked him with being the lead contractor. He worked out the designs, did lots of research, developed the budget, negotiated with vendors for everything from liner to rocks - and then he organized his work crew (mostly his two older brothers, two older sisters, and a few buddies) to carry out the build. There were lots of tense moments when this momma wasn't sure any of them would ever speak to each other again, but they worked through them together. The end result was both a beautiful, well-functioning pond and a young man who gained confidence in his ability to do hard things. Nothing like success to instill pride in a young man.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
What an inspiring post @Sparky !

I've not had the experience you've lived through, but I do know that becoming pond keepers changed our lives, too. My husband has a chronic illness that makes travel very difficult for us, so our pond became our backyard vacation spot. When I walk in the door after work during pond season I walk straight out the back door, right to the pond. We spend a good hour just relaxing and chatting and enjoying the sunshine - it's restorative.

And the pond build itself was a wonderful experience for our family. My husband decided that our son - who was 18 at the time and fresh off his first year of college - needed a challenge so he tasked him with being the lead contractor. He worked out the designs, did lots of research, developed the budget, negotiated with vendors for everything from liner to rocks - and then he organized his work crew (mostly his two older brothers, two older sisters, and a few buddies) to carry out the build. There were lots of tense moments when this momma wasn't sure any of them would ever speak to each other again, but they worked through them together. The end result was both a beautiful, well-functioning pond and a young man who gained confidence in his ability to do hard things. Nothing like success to instill pride in a young man.
Well we’re matched on inspiring posts today Lisa! Might seem weird to just blab the above out but deep down, incredibly important. Cheers from the somewhat still frozen northland. Today is fishing opener in Mn and up here a number of lakes still have ice. The spawns have just begun! Way late!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it's the part of pondkeeping that some of us learn after the fact. I wanted a pond because I love to garden and every garden needs water. We started with a small patio pond, then went to a pondless waterfall, then added the big pond. Every step was more magical than the last. It sounds crazy to anyone who hasn't experienced it, but pond people know what we're talking about. Water makes a garden come alive and watching life as it grows and evolves is what we all need to stay grounded.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I think it's the part of pondkeeping that some of us learn after the fact. I wanted a pond because I love to garden and every garden needs water. We started with a small patio pond, then went to a pondless waterfall, then added the big pond. Every step was more magical than the last. It sounds crazy to anyone who hasn't experienced it, but pond people know what we're talking about. Water makes a garden come alive and watching life as it grows and evolves is what we all need to stay grounded.
Bingo!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The weekend is here. Took last weekend off from the pond due to weather but set aside this one to tinker a bit with some ideas and continue prepping for liner day. Not too long ago I went through a horrible ordeal. Those of you who have had experience wth alcoholism know exactly what I speak of. I nearly lost everything including my life. Something about flat lining on a hospital table with your wife and closest friends in the room has a way of finally pulling one’s head out of one’s ass. The road to one year of sobriety has been long, scary, exhausting, uncomfortable and the most incredible experience. Where is this going? I’ve begun to notice parallels between my fish keeping and my road to sobriety. Patience, nurturing, hard work, and acceptance being foremost. The results are in. I am happier person than I’ve ever been in 20+ years and my tanks look great. My fish are healthy and happy. Yes, fishkeeping has become my zen. I live a chaotic life. My work is intense and being a firefighter has its moments as well. When the the treadmill gets cranking too fast and I begin to lose the trail, all I have to do is stop, pick up a net, test kit, siphon, whatever and get to work. Everything slows down and the mind begins to clear leaving what’s really important or bothering me. I cannot convey the sense of serenity I have gained back due to my tanks and my new pond project. So, to wrap up I continue to take one day at a time and enjoy the little things that have brought me to this little nirvana. I wish all of you the best and I am always willing to speak about my experience if anyone thinks it could help them. This is one of the keystones of my recovery. Peace pond dwellers and enjoy this massive puzzle with missing pieces we call life.
Addictions are hard to beat, I'm happy to read that you've found the strength to fight yours!
Your post will no doubt inspire others, so thank you for sharing!
smclap.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing. Trading a negative addiction for one that reaps benefits is quite fulfilling. Congrats on your doing so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ponding is teaching me to slow down, work through things, and not push myself too hard. I tend to push myself to the breaking point, where I sleep for 20 odd hours, and get burnt out. The pond and garden have become my therapy, teaching me to slow down and work smoothly. I’m learning to plot things out, work through my problems, and get away from my other issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Very nice stories Sparky and Lisak1. Congratulations on defeating your addiction Sparky.

My back yard and my pond are my sanctuary too. I am a nurse and before that I was in the Army for 21 years, my life has not been peaceful. No matter how the day was I take a few minutes to sit and feed and watch the fish. Sort of like sitting in my own little garden of Eden.

Ask a Question