The tadpole solution

Reaction score
I discovered turtles love to eat toad and frog tadpoles. The problem: they also often love to take bites at fish. Thanks to all who helped and contributed to my posts on both subjects.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Don't get me wrong, I think turtles are very interesting creatures and well worth keeping as (rather independent) pets. I myself have four that were rescued from a "rescuer" and had been living in filthy conditions. At least now they have a pond and lots of food in the warm part of the year, and frequent water ghanges in winter. But I wouldn't ever keep them in with my fish. John

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
I'm curious - how do you keep the turtles from escaping out of your yard? Or don't they climb out onto the rocks?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My turtle "pond' is a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank, The water is kept far enough below the rim to prevent escapes, About a week or so back, we had a real cloudburst, over 6" in 3 hours. By the time I realized it, they could have gotten their claws over the edge, so if you go this route, an overflow about 4" down is a good idea. Oh,yes, almost forgot. Their sunning rocks are flat slate supported by an old plastic patio table so they can swim underneath as well. John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My 300 gallon rubbermaid is full of tadpoles, lotus and one frog, guess turtles would wreck havoc

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Most likely, Addy! They would consider it an all-you-can-eat buffet. John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Learned that when I was a little kid. Had some baby turtles, the kind you used to get at pet stores before they decided they could make you ill. Never made me ill. Anyways, I thought it would be fun to put some tadpoles from the pond down the road in w/ the little turtles and watch them grow into frogs. Long story short, I cried for a long time when the turtles chased and bit at the little tads and had them all for dinner
girl_cry12.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Learned that when I was a little kid. Had some baby turtles, the kind you used to get at pet stores before they decided they could make you ill. Never made me ill. Anyways, I thought it would be fun to put some tadpoles from the pond down the road in w/ the little turtles and watch them grow into frogs. Long story short, I cried for a long time when the turtles chased and bit at the little tads and had them all for dinner
girl_cry12.gif

Life is a rough teacher jw! I cried my eyes out when my dad would not stop to let me save a sick pigeon, little did I know it was probably ill, poisoned and nothing I could have done to save it.

Ask a Question