The things you find on the side of the road:-)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hey maybe this will be like mogsies forum and keep it and post all our neat finds capewind .I got a new milk can at the dump no lid but gosh who cares .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
milkcan no lid

Attachments

• milk can no lid 003.JPG
    milk can no lid 003.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 297

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How many do you have in what sized tank? Wondering with increased filtration, how many you can put into a tank, and still give them enough room to act like normal fishy...

About 20 shubbies from 2-4 inches, majority are 4 inches counting tails. It is a 55 gallon tank, they have plenty of room to swim around, the water so far tests fine.
I have two air blocks running and a fluval filter good for up to a 70 gallon tank. The canister I added more filter material to it then what came with it.

They go out into the 1000 gallon tank pond in the summer

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
With Goldfish they say a 1" fish per gallon with great Filtration & water changes.
This is the rule of thumb
I have seen this go over and people get away with it but not with out a lot of work and the fish not being stuned in growth or something.

Ruben

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are doing fine, I monitor the water in this tank way more than the pond (never monitor the pond water lol)

They will be out in the real pond in about 3-4 months, dependent on march weather. If I start seeing issues with the water, I will just pick up another filter or make one, like an indoor skippy until I can move them into their final home.

lol can just see one of our 55 gallon blue barrels sitting here in the living room!

Reaction score
Poor babies! I couldn't cull, would just have to let nature takes it's course, those that make it do and those that don't do so on their own.

IF they make it, great... I am having a hard time with the culling aspect. I would never make it as a professional koi breeder LOL. The few times I have culled this year, all I did was throw them out to the pond. Then again, I wasnt culling deformities, just the head count. The little S shaped/camel hump guy, I suppose if I had put my mind to it, I could have caught him. Hell, the kiddie pool only had about 65-70 gallons in it, and I DID catch and move him to the 55.. Could have gotten rid of him then... He is eating and growing, so I guess he'll stay for awhile... I had nick named him "retard" (ya, I know not nice), but my daughter changed it to "Scooter"... Thankfully she isnt a baby, or the fact that she named him would mean he would have to stay... Will see how it goes...

Reaction score
About 20 shubbies from 2-4 inches, majority are 4 inches counting tails. It is a 55 gallon tank, they have plenty of room to swim around, the water so far tests fine.
I have two air blocks running and a fluval filter good for up to a 70 gallon tank. The canister I added more filter material to it then what came with it.

They go out into the 1000 gallon tank pond in the summer

I was still over feeding them in the kiddie pool, but maybe every 5-8 days, would give the filters a quick rinse. I'm glad to you mentioned the air, as I forgot to put that into the 55 from the pool... will get that in there today... Filter wise, we are running an old Aquaclear 300, which I THINK was for up to 70 gallons, and a Tetra Whisper 40i which is for tanks up to 40 gallons/170 gph. I was thinking of adding the other Aquaclear 300 that came with the tank, but now thinking about it, if I have 110 gallons worth of filtration, and am cleaning regularly, maybe I dont need to bother. hehe... that leaves a spare Aquaclear to put on a tote or something... ummm... bought more baby fish last night LOL.

Reaction score
Hello
With Goldfish they say a 1" fish per gallon with great Filtration & water changes.
This is the rule of thumb
I have seen this go over and people get away with it but not with out a lot of work and the fish not being stuned in growth or something.

Ruben

Thanks Ruben. It has been so long since we have had "normal fish tank fish" I just could not remember.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was at walmart, wish I trusted their fish better. Saw a watkin looking shubbie for 2 bucks.

Reaction score
When dealing with a local place, IF you have never had an issue, or know someone who did, it may be worth getting, and just put in QT for awhile.

I was really naughty. I bought a batch of babies (standard koi)... hubby wants more yellow (yellow, not changing to orange) and this auction was about a third yellow (with various scale patterns)... Will just sell the extras next spring... even tho hubby isnt a huge fan of standard fin koi, if he can have the yellow he wants, he can get past it/them not being butterflies... So I got HIS batch, and since it doesnt cost anymore to add another fish to the box, I put in a low bid for laughs and giggles on a cute little Tancho Sanke that I liked... and won:) His/her markings are not perfect, but I liked it (and think it will have at least 2 more red/orange spots), and hubby wasnt home when I bid;-) (He doesnt like the "traditional boring colors"...) It's only 4.5 inches, but for three bucks, why not LOL.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep addy what's another little tank gonna hurt? You shoulda got it and put it in one by itself..............maybe it's still there?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I went back, was going to set up a small qt, but it was flashing, had bumps on it, swimming weird all in just a few days. The tanks they have are tiny and stuffed with fish. Just not worth it.

Reaction score
Nope, not worth it at all... Since you did see things wrong, I would cross them off the list as a potential supplier for a good while...

Ask a Question