There are still honest folks out there

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was on vacation last week in Hilton Head SC and we were out kayaking in the bay on Wednesday afternoon. After the kayaking trip I went up to get the truck and noticed a note on my windshield, I proceeded to read the note. After reading the note I got really pissed b/c the person had hit my truck, it is only 3 years old but is my pride and job and looks practically new with very few miles. Then I went to look at it and it wasn't that bad probably about $2k-$3k worth of damage. The people that hit my truck left a really nice note, they gave me there names, policy number and even called the police to fill out a report, and left me a number to call the police for any questions. So I immediately went to the police station to get the report, they told me it would not be ready until Friday, not sure why it would take that long but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Called today and the records lady is also the dispatcher so hopefully tomorrow so I can get it fixed.

Attachments

• P1030173.JPG
    P1030173.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 312

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bummer tmann, at least they left you all of their information, some honest people.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I can see why it would piss you off at first but the after thought of thinking what they could have done sure means alot. Accidents happen, honesty takes effort.
I'm sure after you though about a short bit you were a lot more appreciative of what they did after the fact. Never understood why the police need so many days to fill out a report, It can take a week or longer here for a ticket to be processed so you can pay it, I wouldn't doubt it would take longer on a accident report.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That first dent in your new car is always the hardest................don't worry it will be easier on ya next time
there.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
taherrmann4, What a bad way to end up a day kayaking. Accidents are never pleasant. I work in construction and my biggest fear is an injury to someone from an accident. Material things can always be replaced, but not people. That was really nice they left the note. Hard to believe a bumper costs $2,000-$3000. That must mean the whole vehicle is probably worth $80,000!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your lucky tmann most would just drive away and not care .I had that happen to my suv and no note no nothing my insurance company paid for it and then raised my rates .I then found another auto insurer .Thats mark up cometkeith if you buy original parts and not after market parts .And then you add paint .Thank your lucky stars it is not a custom paint color like mine is .For that scratch and paint it was 9 thousand dollars for a scratch 4 feet long .Thats the paint and body going rate these days .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You know if you actually had to rebuild a say a new $30,000 truck from parts at a body shop plus labor your probably right. Would probably be in the $60k-$80 price range. That's why our Ins. rates do cost so much, well that and fraud.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yep estimate was $2k. Needs new bumper, fog light, fix quarter panel, and paint. There could be more damage behind the bumper once they take it off. The labor is 1/2 the cost. Now I am waiting on their insurance company to get back with me.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
That's so nice to know that those who caused the accident were honest and left a note, and you're not left with the costs of repair. I hope you're able to pass a note to their insurance agent or company, thanking them for doing the right thing. And I hope the repairs are made in a timely manner for you. It's always tough having an auto in the shop for repairs because that's when you always need it the most, it seems.

I once left my wallet on top of my car at a water park and drove off. I was much younger with toddlers in tow, got distracted getting them in the car after a long day in the sun, and drove off. I got home and thought, ugh, now I have to get a new license, etc. But within a half hour I had a phone call from the person who found it and we made arrangements to meet for the return of my wallet. Whew! I was so grateful! And the little bit of money I had was still in the wallet. I try to think of times like that when things get a bit overwhelming or dispiriting. Keeps my glass half full. :razz:

Ask a Question