There is no way this is ok (pump noise)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
So I took my pump down to the shop since it was making a loud noise. They claim they can't find anything wrong and its still making the noise.

Can someone please tell me?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds like the impeller is hitting something or warped .I know I had that noise on an old submersable and it was a piece of gravel behind the impeller .But not sure how above ground ones work

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So I took my pump down to the shop since it was making a loud noise. They claim they can't find anything wrong and its still making the noise.

Can someone please tell me?

Our pumps get really loud when there is so much air in the pump that it can’t function. When I fill the chamber with water, it goes back to normal sound levels. My problem is that my pumps are set two inches too high and there are air leaks in the plumbing. My correction is to lower the entire pump system below the pond water level or seal all my pipe joints enough to prevent air intrusion at high vacuum levels. We eliminated the problem on one of three pumps and we just need to correct the others when we have time. Maybe that’s where you are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Our pumps get really loud when there is so much air in the pump that it can’t function. When I fill the chamber with water, it goes back to normal sound levels. My problem is that my pumps are set two inches too high and there are air leaks in the plumbing. My correction is to lower the entire pump system below the pond water level or seal all my pipe joints enough to prevent air intrusion at high vacuum levels. We eliminated the problem on one of three pumps and we just need to correct the others when we have time. Maybe that’s where you are.
What you are describing is it pump cavitation......it sounds like water surging......what they have is definitely a "Tick" sound......if it was a rock or debris in the pump it would have an irregular rhythm banging around on the inside of the pump......still say something in the fan

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
What you are describing is it pump cavitation......it sounds like water surging......what they have is definitely a "Tick" sound......if it was a rock or debris in the pump it would have an irregular rhythm banging around on the inside of the pump......still say something in the fan

If it is something like that is it something I should be able to do myself? I'm not completely incompetent when it comes to tools :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If it is something like that is it something I should be able to do myself? I'm not completely incompetent when it comes to tools :).
okay, i didn't check to see the type of pump you have. if it is external, then usually the pump housing is separate from the electric motor and is connected with a shaft to turn the impeller. the pump housing on a sequence pump is held on with six bolts i think, and they are torqued to a certain tension. there may be a gasket, so be careful. i cant remember. that said i used to clean out my sequence 4200 every spring a couple of times because the willow leaves are thin in the tree above, and they lay across the impeller blades layering until they clog the pump. all i had to do was clean them out and reassemble. the manufacturer can tell you the torque on a given pump. easy to do but takes a work bench and valving the pump so you can take it out without draining the pond. it this is a pebble then, it will be easy to find. the pump should be mounted with a strainer basket to catch small pebbles. if it is a submersible, i'm not familiar with their service requirement.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
okay, i didn't check to see the type of pump you have. if it is external, then usually the pump housing is separate from the electric motor and is connected with a shaft to turn the impeller. the pump housing on a sequence pump is held on with six bolts i think, and they are torqued to a certain tension. there may be a gasket, so be careful. i cant remember. that said i used to clean out my sequence 4200 every spring a couple of times because the willow leaves are thin in the tree above, and they lay across the impeller blades layering until they clog the pump. all i had to do was clean them out and reassemble. the manufacturer can tell you the torque on a given pump. easy to do but takes a work bench and valving the pump so you can take it out without draining the pond. it this is a pebble then, it will be easy to find. the pump should be mounted with a strainer basket to catch small pebbles. if it is a submersible, i'm not familiar with their service requirement.

Its a sequence pump. a 5800 gph

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Who is our next player Rod?

How about Jimmy Gibson! COME ON DOWN.....

:D

E0Cv6v.gif

Jimmy called it. I took it by another shop today and they say the fan was warped. I'll be hooking it up later today

Thank you all for your help :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Who is our next player Rod?

How about Jimmy Gibson! COME ON DOWN.....

:D

E0Cv6v.gif

Jimmy called it. I took it by another shop today and they say the fan was warped. I'll be hooking it up later today

Thank you all for your help :)
Glad everything worked out for you. I just wish I was as young and looked as good as that guy.....lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
A warped fan? I haven't heard of that before in a sequence pump.
Worn bearings or something stuck and hitting the impeller blades, yes.
The ticking did sound like an impeller blade issue.
Not a big deal but hopefully they get it fixed in short order for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
A warped fan? I haven't heard of that before in a sequence pump.
Worn bearings or something stuck and hitting the impeller blades, yes.
The ticking did sound like an impeller blade issue.
Not a big deal but hopefully they get it fixed in short order for you.

We did hit over 110 for about 5 days a few weeks ago.

Even for Texas that's damn hot.

Ask a Question