There is something smelly about this post

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Had a visitor in the early morning hours, taking a drink from the stream. Meet Mr/Mrs Skunk, it is just below the upper branches at upper center right

skunk.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've woken up twice in the middle of the night this summer to the overpowering skunk smell in our yard - so strong it makes your eyes water and your throat burn. We think a skunk ate two of our fish last year, so we are always on alert for any sign of them. Although what I would do about it, I'm not so sure!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like skunks, if they stay away, they are great yellow jacket nest eaters. I have found dug up nests from skunk activity.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have one hanging around here lately and the smell can be bad at times .I think my sensor light is scaring it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh it's Flower! You have lots of critters visit your pond Rob. Neat you got that photo and at night too. Course you have a vid cam set up right?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had one visit 2 nights ago. The windows were open and the smell woke me up. The next morning our outside cat had a nasty smell! I suspect this is what has been digging out the yellow jacket nests here. 4 nests I didn't have to deal with!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We had a skunk dig out a nest of yellowjackets last night. I mowed the lawn last tuesday, and there was no sign of a nest, but it was about the size of a grapefruit. We have skunks patroling our yard almost every night, and they usually get about 3 or 4 nests every year! We hardly EVER get any smell.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@HARO Good for the skunks on keeping down the yellow jacket population. Wonder how they do that w/o getting stung all over?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
I like skunks, if they stay away, they are great yellow jacket nest eaters. I have found dug up nests from skunk activity.
They also like the white grubs (june bug larvae) that like to eat the grass roots in your lawn. The only problem with that is they dig up the grass to get to them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They also like the white grubs (june bug larvae) that like to eat the grass roots in your lawn. The only problem with that is they dig up the grass to get to them.
Funny you say that, there is a hole in my grass from this morning and my dogs do not dig :) I wonder who

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Between the moles, voles, mice, grubs, skunks, etc our acres are not what you would call perfect yard. And now I encourage dandelions, clover etc to grow for our bees. We do have green grass but I do not stress over making it look like a golf course. A hole here and there makes no difference.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Our skunks dig for grubs on a nightly basis, but you have to look REAL hard to find the holes! most are just big enough to fit a skunk's nose into (maybe 1 1/2" across), and like Addy, ours is a country lawn and has more weeds than actual grass. (But it LOOKS nice and green!) Apparently, if you have major damage, the culprit is usually a raccoon. They tend to roll the sod back like a torn rug.
John

Ask a Question