Things I learned from this forum after 1 month

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve been pouring through the posts in my short one month on this forum and can’t thank you all enough for everything you post. I’ve learned so much! The following in no particular order,
I have too many fish for my pond, they are all happy now but they will outgrow me
Lily pads like fertilizer
Clay cat litter is great for planting pond plants
Ponds need good bacteria
Algae isn’t necessarily bad
Clear water is more for me than the fish
You can overfeed fish
I can see personality in each fish
patience is key when trying to troubleshoot
Pond plants are an important part of the ecosystem
Once the pond is balanced there isn’t much to do but enjoy it
It doesn’t take long for fish fry
Spawning. I had no idea.
Japanese blue iris need to be planted in the water, not in the garden on the side
And....back to number 1..you can get attached to fish...lol..I’m having trouble figuring out who I can part with for the benefit of all

Thanks again, I’ve learned so much. I don’t post often but I read everything and it helps me tremendously!

Shano

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very well said grasshopper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
What a great list and all of it so true ! Do you have a friend or neighbor who has a pond? I was lucky, that for several years I had a neighbor who needed some fish and told me I could have "visitation rights" to come see the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a great list and all of it so true ! Do you have a friend or neighbor who has a pond? I was lucky, that for several years I had a neighbor who needed some fish and told me I could have "visitation rights" to come see the fish.
Funny you say that...co workers have told me of friends they know that could take a koi...after reading the forums,
I’ve asked for pictures of their pond....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’ve been pouring through the posts in my short one month on this forum and can’t thank you all enough for everything you post. I’ve learned so much! The following in no particular order,
I have too many fish for my pond, they are all happy now but they will outgrow me
Lily pads like fertilizer
Clay cat litter is great for planting pond plants
Ponds need good bacteria
Algae isn’t necessarily bad
Clear water is more for me than the fish
You can overfeed fish
I can see personality in each fish
patience is key when trying to troubleshoot
Pond plants are an important part of the ecosystem
Once the pond is balanced there isn’t much to do but enjoy it
It doesn’t take long for fish fry
Spawning. I had no idea.
Japanese blue iris need to be planted in the water, not in the garden on the side
And....back to number 1..you can get attached to fish...lol..I’m having trouble figuring out who I can part with for the benefit of all

Thanks again, I’ve learned so much. I don’t post often but I read everything and it helps me tremendously!

Shano
Great list! A lot of times when discussing subjects I'll put in details the other ponder may know already. It's really for the person just starting out reading all the blogs! You get an A+!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A lot of times when discussing subjects I'll put in details the other ponder may know already.

That's exactly why I repeat myself frequently - I figure that post may be the first (or only) a new pond owner may read on a particular subject. I realize not everyone is as obsessed with reading every detail as I am! That's also why I will throw in the "other side of the story" on certain topics, so people who are new to the pond world see that it's OK to think things through and decide what makes sense to them.

Ask a Question