Thinking about buying a pressurized UV filter but have questions - Need help!

Reaction score
First question, is it as easy as described to clean it? Just opening a valve and waiting for the sludge to stop coming out? Is that it?

Secondly, is there a big difference in quality between the different brands? There is a huge price difference and I am not sure if that translates into a performance difference. For example, Jebao is a lot less expensive then Laguna.

Lastly, can anyone recommend a filter for a 2K gallon pond that they are happy with? I need to save money but I don't want to buy something that doesn't perform and I end up with continued filtration issues.

Thanks in advance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have a small pond they work and a bigger pond with a fish load would have to be flushed every day just about .I have 2 of them with uv's which did not work at all on my bigger pond and now the sit in the basement .I had to flush them 2 times a day and the water was never clean .I went with home made filter boxes with my favorite lava ,I know heavy and people don't like lava rock .I buy dollar store laundry bags and put the lava rock in them and then into the home made filters ,2 of them .Cost me about 30 dollars to build both filters .I have an aerator and a fountain head in the pond and the extra air helps keep the pond clear .I have too many fish and 2 of my koi are over 2 feet long and i net the bottom every 2 days and add quilt batting to my filters to pick up the fine stuff .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you need a bigger pump to use pressure filters. not so much for the filtering aspects but for the backflushing. from the moment water starts being pumped in, they are on their way towards clogging. and insufficient pump power just wont backwash them properly. it takes more power to dislodge stuck debris, and particles from the foams than it does to lodge them there. a big aid in using pressure filters is to draw the water from the top half of the pond, not the bottom where much more particulates will be drawn in.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had 3 over the years and was never really pleased with any. The backflushing does not reall do a good job and the filters have to be opened and hand cleaned. If you do decide to get one, go with a good brand and not something cheap like Alpine or Aquascape.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
I have a 5k pond and purchased a aqua ultra II 10000 and run an external pump pushing 8200 gph. Backwashing is quick and easy. Having the big pump I'm sure helps with the backwashing. So far I'm very happy with it. My UV filter is separate from the bead filter. I run a 80watt.

Hope this helps?

Attachments

• IMG_20120325_100101.jpg
    IMG_20120325_100101.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 265
Reaction score
I have a 5k pond and purchased a aqua ultra II 10000 and run an external pump pushing 8200 gph. Backwashing is quick and easy. Having the big pump I'm sure helps with the backwashing. So far I'm very happy with it. My UV filter is separate from the bead filter. I run a 80watt.

Hope this helps?

Thanks, I am going to look into that filter.

Reaction score
Do some research before you buy a filter, I read several comparisons & reviews before I went the direction I did. Some canister filters create a lot more head pressure thus greatly reducing flow which requires a much stronger pump to operate.

I went with a Advange bead filter on both of my ponds, just hooked up a plug-n-play 6000 just a few days ago, purchased it from someone on this site. Everything I have read they create less head pressure then a similarly sized filter & like several they have a seperate pump to do the backwashing. I also like the idea of having a window on top of the filter so I can see if the filter media is all nasty & view it while it's being backwashed. I put this in a 3500+/- gallon pond, also have the plug n play 15000 for the other pond, just haven't hooked it up yet :( 80w & 150w UV's are what I have

Any idea what your budget is?

Ask a Question