DigdirtJen

Here Fishie Fishie Fishie! :)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I'm thinking ahead about the coming winter. My pond is 300 gallons and 25" deep. I live in zone 7b. Should i buy a heater or a de-icer? What brand would you recommend?

thank you!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I just keep my pond with a pump running at the bottom to keep a hole in the ice, and also a deicer.

( I am in zone 5a so a lot colder than many here in the winter )

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm in zone 7a & I keep a floating deicer in front of our big skimmer, but only plug it in if temps fall seriously low ( single digits over night with daytime highs at or near freezing)
I do run our waterfalls all year 'round, so that's what keeps a 'hole in the ice' when it's very cold. I only run the deicer to keep the water from freezing up in front of the skimmer & (potentially) starving the pump.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would just toss a pond breather in there. I have used one for the past 3-4 years on an above ground 300 gal. Stock tank that is plumbed into one of my ponds, Shubunkins fry always end up in there and have yet to lose a fish in it. Ice freezes thick in it too as it is exposed completely to the elements.

In my actual ponds I leave the pumps running year round, as well as an aerator in shallow water. Usually toss pond breathers in there and leave them unplugged as a back up, but haven’t needed them in recent years.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am in zone 8a/b. My pond doesn’t freeze, so no advice, but have heard positive reports on the pond breather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Same zone, I’d agree with others, only plug it in when needed. No preference from me on brands, I’m not that far on my pond yet!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the pond breather , have for years now. No fish loss over winter. I usually just plug it in when and if we have a cold winter.

Ask a Question