Thinking of adding lights around the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Or even just one light.

However, I do not want to invite predators to the pond. Would a light attract unwanted attention? Coons got every last one of my koi four years ago. The pond is netted. I don’t know how the darn things got in. I despise those destructive things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Most nocturnal hunters prefer the dark & could potentially be deterred by a light. However, if it is ever-on, they will get used to it & learn to disregard it (unlike a motion activated one that would have more of a 'startle' effect)
The other consideration is that a light will draw insects, which will draw things that like to eat bugs (frogs, toads) The congregating of amphibians could attract raccoons or other predators, I guess. But at least it would give them something other than your fish to target...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most nocturnal hunters prefer the dark & could potentially be deterred by a light. However, if it is ever-on, they will get used to it & learn to disregard it (unlike a motion activated one that would have more of a 'startle' effect)
The other consideration is that a light will draw insects, which will draw things that like to eat bugs (frogs, toads) The congregating of amphibians could attract raccoons or other predators, I guess. But at least it would give them something other than your fish to target...
Ahh, the circle of life!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We just have our lights on a timer so they are one when we may want to enjoy the pond at night but turn off after we are inside for the night. I do indeed think in the pond lights could make it easier for a predator to see your fish. And raccoons, in my experience, could care less about light. Or sound. Or motion. They have become extremely bold in the suburban and urban setting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We just have our lights on a timer so they are one when we may want to enjoy the pond at night but turn off after we are inside for the night. I do indeed think in the pond lights could make it easier for a predator to see your fish. And raccoons, in my experience, could care less about light. Or sound. Or motion. They have become extremely bold in the suburban and urban setting.
This is true & something I forget. In our very rural setting, the wild critters are quite wild. In-town critters are a lot more habituated to human influence.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never had a raccoon mess with the fish. Maybe my pond is too deep or the fish too smart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have never had a raccoon mess with the fish. Maybe my pond is too deep or the fish too smart.
It doesn't happen often, especially considering the number of raccoons we have around, but we do occasionally lose a fish to one. I know what happened, because they leave tell-tale signs, as they aren't 'clean' eaters & tend to drop bits of what they're eating. :( I guess I must have dumb fish, because if they were three feet down & in their caves, the raccoons couldn't get them...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
The coons must have hauled the fish back into the woods behind the house. I never saw any trace of the fish. There is even a fish tunnel at least one fish could have hid in. I don’t know how the coon or coons got in. The pond is netted. The only other thing I can think of is someone stole the fish. But how would the catfish have died? He was still in the water. He was huge! We were out of state, at my dad’s funeral when it all happened.

It would be nice if pond builders would actually know how to build a pond with the protections fish need from predators. I am not rebuilding this pond again. I’d get rid of it if husband didn’t love it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Raccoons don't need light thats for sure. Will iyour pond attract wildlife sure will lights attract more i doubt it bugs yes.

Ask a Question