Thinking of getting rid of ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
I can't believe I'm even thinking this! We have two ponds attached to each other with a little streamlet. We just aren't keeping up with them and I'm thinking of filling them in. I enjoy them but not the upkeep and most of that falls to my husband. We are both getting older and it's hard to get in there to keep the edges weeded and the aquatic plants managed.

I guess I'm looking for ideas and support.

Lesley
full pond.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh gosh! That's so pretty! But I do understand - life moves on. We had another forum member a few years ago who made the same choice.

What kind of maintenance are you doing that is getting difficult? Maybe we can help strategize ways to make your pond more "easy care"!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't believe I'm even thinking this!
I guess I'm looking for ideas and support.

It's understandable. I love my pond, but I could also see myself filling it in someday. I've often thought about replacing it with a pondless stream of some sort.

Maybe it's possible that you could find new ways to do things that would make it easier for you. There are certainly multiple ways to do tasks, and it's possible that you just haven't found the easiest ways to maintain your pond. I keep my plants in pots. so I don't have much worry about having to keep them managed. Occasionally, they try to grow outside of the pots and I just snip them off, even without having to get in the pond.

Although, if you do ultimately decide to get rid of it, I would suggest creating a native garden in it's place. It'd really help the pollinators in your area, and becomes very easy to maintain after the first couple years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think about a one time reconstruct. Remove all but slow growing plants from the ponds and let or build a bog and let that go crazy but stay away from cat tails or lotus stuff that can clog it very quickly. you'll keep good water quality and not have to deal with weeding the ponds. but i know any wedding is outside what my mother in law is up for.

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
I think you should take a walk on the wild side. Enough fretting with these plants , let them do their thing, grow wild and concern.
Some will disappear and most will overgrow and make the pond into part of nature - and that's where you want it to be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I only finished building my pond a few months ago and I already want to fill it in.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
no I love it, But I do realize after finishing it. I will never be able to redo it. there is no way I’m moving 5 ton of 12-15 inch Delaware river rock by hand again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Beautiful! I am 53 and have arthritis and bursitis. I'm getting ready to build (totally DIY) our second pond.

My husband says: I think it's funny that you are doing all this work on something that you will soon be too old to take care of! Our ponds aren't a lot of work. Do you know any high school biology students? College environmental biology or zoology students? I wonder if you could teach a younger person the how-tos and could pay them a little bit to do general maintenance maybe 4 times a year? Speaking as a nature/science geek, I can tell you I would have jumped at that opportunity when I was a student.

However -- if you do decide to fill in, it's totally understandable. Maybe you can find some local pond folks who would be thrilled to come "harvest" the pond plants. Knowing they would be going to good homes would probably make the process a little less sad.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our ponds aren't a lot of work.

That's how I feel too - of all the things I do around the house, the pond takes the least energy and brings the most joy. It's my little daily vacation spot, reduces stress, brings beauty and nature to my life, gets me outdoors in the sunshine and fresh air... all good, healthy things. The few minutes a week I put into keeping the pond working well is worth it at this point in my life. AND it's less lawn to mow, which is also a good thing! We cut our backyard mowing down to almost nothing by putting in a pond and patio - saves me HOURS a week in from May - October.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
That's how I feel too - of all the things I do around the house, the pond takes the least energy and brings the most joy. It's my little daily vacation spot, reduces stress, brings beauty and nature to my life, gets me outdoors in the sunshine and fresh air... all good, healthy things. The few minutes a week I put into keeping the pond working well is worth it at this point in my life. AND it's less lawn to mow, which is also a good thing! We cut our backyard mowing down to almost nothing by putting in a pond and patio - saves me HOURS a week in from May - October.
It's funny. Everyone's perspective on "work" is different. I goof around outside and even though I might be sweating bullets and getting filthy dirty -- I would rather do that 1000x more than housework! I can procrastinate on laundry, dusting, vacuuming, etc - like nobody's business! The outside stuff is getting harder as I get older but shoot -- I messed my back up the other evening by lying on our unsupportive couch to watch TV. If I'm going to hurt myself doing nothing, I might as well do something! :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Your ponds are lovely, very beautiful !! I think we all can understand how you feel. Would it be easier for you to have one pond and make the other a bog or native garden? That way you can see if you'd miss it and still have one pond.

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
Your ponds are lovely, very beautiful !! I think we all can understand how you feel. Would it be easier for you to have one pond and make the other a bog or native garden? That way you can see if you'd miss it and still have one pond.

What a great idea ! I would make a bog all around your sunny coast. Still , this need some physical exercise ,
commonly called "work" , which I wish i was doing instead of walking miles on the treadmill right now.

Ask a Question