Third pond build - filter, bottom drain, etc. advice needed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm now looking more into these pressure filters, and I'm seeing there are models out there with UV, mechanical, and bio filtration for koi ponds my size and larger. I'm wondering if these all-in-one filters may be the way to go instead of using a separate mechanical, UV, and 55 gallon biofilter. They seem too good to be true, considering their smaller size. Do they actually work as well as a large biofilter?

I think one difference that should be pointed out is that commercially available pressure filters are designed so that they are effecient. When you compare them to DIY setups, DIY setups are usually very inefficient, but can make up for that by being built large to compensate, for little extra expense.

Plus, you should take ratings for filters to be an approximate number. A lot depends on the design of the pond itself and what kind of water circulation it has, not just what the total water volume is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm now looking more into these pressure filters, and I'm seeing there are models out there with UV, mechanical, and bio filtration for koi ponds my size and larger. I'm wondering if these all-in-one filters may be the way to go instead of using a separate mechanical, UV, and 55 gallon biofilter. They seem too good to be true, considering their smaller size. Do they actually work as well as a large biofilter?
Max in reality a good system depends on just how deep your pockets are and how good a filter you want it to be.
Many koi people just love the nexus , others bead filters or even Bakki Showers, sieves, a humble barrel filter
So in reality its down to you which you prefare not us we can only point you in the right direction .......
I have a booklet about filters done by the AKCA you could perhaps buy it then take a look at a copy .
Its propper title is AKCA Guide to filters and Pre-filters ."published by the Accociated Koi Clubs of America".
They can be bought directly from the AKCA website using PayPal
Hope this helps you Max

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for this information. I'll have to Google this document
I hope it helps my friend getting it right the first time around is the best way to do it , that way your not going to try dury rigging another system to the pond with all the problems that may bring.
In the AKCA book you'll find one thats different in such a way it would be a centre piece to any pond and thats the Christmas Tree Bakki shower , looking at it even I recon I could knock out one very simmilar too it .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Look at the petair superflo variable speed great little pump
Aqua ultra violet uv and filter
Makes for a great set up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I hope it helps my friend getting it right the first time around is the best way to do it , that way your not going to try dury rigging another system to the pond with all the problems that may bring.
In the AKCA book you'll find one thats different in such a way it would be a centre piece to any pond and thats the Christmas Tree Bakki shower , looking at it even I recon I could knock out one very simmilar too it .

Dave

The Bakki shower looks like an awesome system, and is highly recommended, but ultimately my pond is a garden pond with koi, not strictly a koi pond. I say this because aesthetics is very important to me. I'm trying to make my pond as natural looking as possible, and a system such as the Bakki shower won't incorporate well.

I'm looking at the 10000 Ultima II pressure filter. I REALLY like the backflush cleaning feature, and it can be buried up to the valves, so I'll be able to have the pump, UV filter, and mechanical/bio filter all in a pretty small footprint.

Ask a Question