This cannot be swim bladder right?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
My name is Tom, I have been on here in the past trying to figure out what could be wrong with my Fantail Comets.
I had one that got SOOO fat and round this past summer, that "Her?" Head started to disappear, and was resembling
a Blowfish. (Kidding) but not. I'm thinking she was full of eggs, but didn't see any, as I'm sure they were being gobbled up as fast as she was spitting them out. They were really aggressive with her, pushing on her butt and just harassing her for a good few weeks or more! AAAANYWAY.... She is no longer able to stay straight up n down, she sleeps on her side now, and I can't tell you how many times I thought she was dead..... So, I have done the peas thing soooo many times and it isn't helping, so I don't know what to do for her? Thats just one of my 7 Fantails, they have outgrown their pond and we are doing an expansion soon as spring gets here. Her name is Tnak Girl btw.
Now Sally is another girl (I think) and she is in bad shape and I want to ask about if it's a thing to euthanize a fish. Sally has NO Life, she lays in tn the same spot on the bottom, struggles to swim, and comes up to the surface to gobble some air in the same big circular pattern and sinks (not swim) back to her spot on the bottom, and then let's out bubbles. And that is the extent of her life! So that is why I ask if I should do that if she can't be helped? Any advise would be appreciated, thank you.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish. Especially with fantails, this kind of stuff can happen despite our best efforts. I would euthanize in your situation, since nothing has worked, at some point you have to call it. Here is an article with options :

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jrs,
Thank you so much for your thoughts and the link! I just read through it and that sounds like a very humane way to go about this difficult process. We have had these fish for about 11yrs and It's going to be hard to make the call. But it is a hard thing to watch knowing that she is a prisoner to the bottom of the pond, and not able to mingle with the rest of the school. Every so often, one or more of the other will come and lay beside her, almost as though they are trying to comfort her? I don't know if that is a thing they do or not, and if the know what's going on, but it sure appears that way! They are a very tight group, and spend all winter under a milk crate all, at this point as big as they are "squished" together in there. I wonder if they will miss her presence and be depressed? Anyway, thanks again Jrs.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Jrs,
Thank you so much for your thoughts and the link! I just read through it and that sounds like a very humane way to go about this difficult process. We have had these fish for about 11yrs and It's going to be hard to make the call. But it is a hard thing to watch knowing that she is a prisoner to the bottom of the pond, and not able to mingle with the rest of the school. Every so often, one or more of the other will come and lay beside her, almost as though they are trying to comfort her? I don't know if that is a thing they do or not, and if the know what's going on, but it sure appears that way! They are a very tight group, and spend all winter under a milk crate all, at this point as big as they are "squished" together in there. I wonder if they will miss her presence and be depressed? Anyway, thanks again Jrs.
I personally haven’t had a fish get attached to me or any other fishes on the freshwater side of things, however those goldfish do seem to be a tight nit group based on your description of them!

Ask a Question