This group is awesome!

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I gotta say, this group is awesome! Its very active, usually a lot of pics are posted, and tons of knowledge from people that have been doing it for a long time. I've been in saltwater/reef tank forums, Poison dart frog forums, and now this one, and I gotta say that i think this one is the best....by far. Thanks to all that have offered advice and im sure i'll have more questions soon.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@brokensword i see you have 4 painted turtles and i also see you're from Michigan. My 5 year old desperately wants me to have a turtle in our pond, but i believe i would have to house him inside during the winter. Is that what you do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@reefsr Thats awesome! thanks for the link. I dont think i will put mud in, but definitely can supply hiding spots and places for it to tuck itself into. My son will be so thrilled
an option would be to put a couple of oil pans/plastic mortar box full of mud on the bottom; you can then control it better. I find that the smaller turtles are more susceptible to not surviving their first winters (I lost some, two years in a row) so on Marshall's advice, I took them in. I'll probably do this until they're 5-6" or so, then let them winter naturally in the pond, esp since now I have more rocks and stuff for them to tuck themselves under.

Another note; I like to start with small turtles and feed them regularly; this helps blunt their desire to eat my fish! Working so far. The one time I put a large wild painted in (found it on the road, so a rescue), I suddenly had tail fins looking nipped! But yeah, your son is going to love seeing the turtles basking and grabbing the fish food!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
frogs like to bury in the mud as well and there isn't any in my pond but where i did find them in the spring was tucked in the pockets of leaves

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Jagsfan - we kind of like it here, too!

Somehow I've always enjoyed the jobs that pay zero in my life, so double the pay and let me do more of those and I'd be happy!

Ask a Question