This is hilarious!

Reaction score
So about a week ago I got my heron decoy, and I'm getting in my car this morning and a woman pulls up in an SUV and says "hey, if you have fish in that pond that heron will eat them!" lol

I told her it was a decoy and she never heard of such a thing. She said she likes my filter concept too. :-D

So I may have may my first local ponding friend. She said a heron ate all her fish last year but she has not seen it in awhile.

Reaction score
Q.E.D.
Plastic herons dont scare away, they attract, be it people or real herons ;)
Seriously, they dont work.

Nature29.jpg

Reaction score
Well, you have to move them around. Even if they don't work they are nice decorations. :-D

Another species of bird sitting on the decoy does not prove anything by the way. They are territorial. Also, some say they attract during mating season which I can see being possible.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you also dont put them out untill after mating season...or you might find extras showing up trying to get lucky!!!....late June, early July is when mine comes out. and yeah...moving them atleast every couple days if not daily is essential...they fly by and never see the decoy move they will catch on quick!!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Move them around all you want, They DO NOT SCARE AWAY! They seem to attract herons instead of keeping them away. I have one that I moved daily, It has two holes in it now where it got attacked by the real Heron right before it clean me out of $1500 worth of fish for my Christmas present.

[ame]

Watch this video! It's not a set-up, this is exactly what they do when they see one. Yea, they look neat in the yard......UNTIL, Lunch a munch a lunch a bunch a Lunch a munch a lunch a bunch and Herons come for brunch yep.

BTW, My pond was set up originally for 8 years before the re-design. Not a single prblem with birds getting my fish. Built the new pond and my dealer recommended this thing, Got attacked twice in the first four months of owning the DECOY, Yea right, I removed after being told about the mating season and you know I have not gotten a Heron since I moved it. KNOCK< KNOCK KNOCK< ON WOOD!!!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
theres no guarentee with any home remedy or commercial products or even a combination of them (netting by far must be best, shorty of an enclosed pond)...it all depends on the bird(s)...some are smarter, some braver, some may have more exposure to the city, or people, it depends on available hunting grounds as well. if hunting is limited theyre more likely to brave or tolerate man made "remedies"...i will not presume to tell people something will or will not work for them because many people have success with many different ideas... ive been told for 2 years that the BB gun wont work...it will be back.,..so far hasnt returned. 2009 had one visit shot it a couple times hasnt been back. May 2010 one showed up shot it a couple times...hasnt been back. and i see herons flying near by and hunting the creek 100 yards from my yard almost daily. and the one in 2009 got one large sushi meal from me 3 12" koi not to mention goldies. that was the last fish i lost to a heron...May 2009...no nets no nothing except me drinking my coffee out on the deck...with Ms Daisy at my side, just in case. people shouldnt tell others what will or will not work for them only what has or hasnt work for themselves.

Reaction score
That video obviously was a set-up. Who would film a heron decoy?
But I will take it under advisement.
Do they get fish deep in the water? My catfish hang out in the bottom so I don't think they are threatened as much anyways. :-D
I wasn't trying to start a decoy debate. Just wanted to share the humor!

thanks

Reaction score
The thing that would work for any problem animal is that motion detector water sprayer thing. I'll get that if any issues. :-D It's called the scarecrow or some similar name...

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
3' is safe for them not to walk in. 3' is about the depth they can reach with their bill when they attack though. If the darn thing is standing in a foot of water it can easy reach down and grab a fish that is in 3' of water. any deeper and I would think they would be pretty safe.

Malak, I can see the humor in the post and appreciate it. That little king fisher or what ever it is is really pretty and not a threat to me. After being brutally attacked and losing some of the best koi I have owned to a stupid bird I do re-act when it comes to my learning's about those crafty beast. I've had to take on a lot of work, expense, and effort to protect my finned friends, I invited them to my pond, I didn't invite that big blue sesame street looking heathen to the party. I'm a animal lover, I don't like cruelty to animals, BUT HERONS ARE NOT WELCOME! I don't care if they are suppose to be protected. If the first line of defense doesn't work option two is on the table!
Tried the decoy as a option, simply It didn't work.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 292

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Malak said:

got one of those too, and they do work, at getting anything and anyone that comes to close. I know been hit many times! The dogs got to where they thought it was fun to bite when they set it off. lol I still use it when I'm away, overhead fishing line is something that has helped with the heron and the owl I think. no more attacks since I put the fishing line overhead and put the covers on. I hate the look of the covers but it was really the most effective way to stop the attacks. It also keeps any unwanted visitors from being harmed. Guess I had to make some sacrifices in the adventure too.

Reaction score
I assume it has a switch on the back to turn it off? I know my woman would forget. Might be worth getting just for that alone! lmao

P.S.- I like "option 2" ;-) Although I'm right across from a courthouse, so the judges would be ducking and running, so a cleaning pellet is about the best I could do.

Ask a Question