This is my selection of plants for bog

Reaction score
Just built a new bog and went to aquatic centre and bought a variety of marginals. Anyone have any comments on this selection? For example, "ooh I def wouldn't put in that plant as it'll..."

The bog is only small so im mainly concious of choosing one which is too aggressive in spreading out, especially as they will all be loose planted without baskets. Let me know if any should remain in their basket for this reason. Also I do want some tall feature plants around one side hence some of the choices but not for it to all turn into a tall grass wilderness!

Barred horsetail (Equisetum Hymale)
Cyprus Alternifolius
Iris Lousiana
Arum Lily (Zantedeschia Aethiopica)
Dwarf Papyrus (Cyperus Haspan)
Society Garlic (Tulbaghia Violacea)
Water Spearmint (Mentha Cervina)
Golden Buttons (Cotula Coronopifolia)
Lobelia Cardinalis Queen Victoria
Houttuynia Cordata Flame

20220807_160720.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Horse tail is a quick grower once it is established and is an invasive plant . watch out it can grow in the lawn as well/
The plant below the horse tail is also in invasive but my other plants have choked it out and kept it under control.

Love those arnum lily's

if you start loosing water check those folds in the bog you have under two inches from the water level to the top of the containment and water can wick up and up in those folds

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
The arum lily is lovely, and should be divided once a season to keep it in bounds. I don't have direct experience with most of the others, other than the papyrus. That stuff will take over, and fast! It might be better to keep that one in a pot--maybe a pot within a bigger pot, with a layer of gravel between them. Razor wire and machine gun turrets are optional but might be a good idea.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What @GBBUDD said especially the chameleon plant the one he mentioned right below the horsetail. It will get loose in your yard and then is a pita to get rid of. I will say horsetail has never done well on my pond, it always stays sparse and then gets choked out by other plants and dies the next year.

Reaction score
Given the advice above I've had second thoughts about the Houttuynia Cordata. Think I'll bin that one and get something else.

Reaction score
Just spent the evening taking the plants out of their pots and ridding them of the soil. That was a heck of a job i wasnt expecting. Especially as we have a hosepipe ban in our area so I could only dunk the plants in water rather than pressure-jet the soil off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just spent the evening taking the plants out of their pots and ridding them of the soil. That was a heck of a job i wasnt expecting. Especially as we have a hosepipe ban in our area so I could only dunk the plants in water rather than pressure-jet the soil off.
you don't want to spray off the dirt you'll break off the microscopic hairs of the roots. dunking is the best way but if you left them in the water for a hour then lifted there wouldn't be much resistance

Reaction score
Ha, good job I bungled into the right method after all! Some of the plants were so big and heavy with mud it just took ages and I got covered

Ask a Question