This is the saddest time of the year....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I post this every year, but it's true! Come autumn, there are fewer and fewer new threads as ponders everywhere are winding down and putting their ponds to sleep for the winter. The forums [GPF and elsewhere] are mostly filled with chit-chat. There will be the occasional "planner" who takes advantage of the down-time to discuss ideas for new builds [in fact, I think I joined during the fall-before-the-pond].

So, what does that mean for us?

:woot:We gotta party! We gotta keep this board alive! :ROFLMAO:

.....during those boring days of winter :sleep:as we await the spring-time EXPLOSION of new members coming to us for advice [scary thought], feedback, and just general "pond talk"!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're too funny Maggie :D

I do enjoy many of your posts and appreciate the time it takes to do it. You have shared so much information here and have a great way of explaining and/or illustrating things. I have often wondered if you were a teacher or have teaching in your background?

It would be nice to have some new members who actually stick around and maybe some old members who seemed to have disappeared come back.

I don't always have the time to post but I do try and check in and at least scan the new posts.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
With our pond's October south side bank major rebuild it will be a busy time here. My good handy man friend will do the work with me nervously giving step by step directions. He's not a pond guy. So I'm sure I'll be asking questions, sharing discoveries and posting photos. I need lots of good thoughts and well wishes. Could be the deciding factor in keeping the pond.

:confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
ok i can start and said i'm busy with my tank now (not doing any pond maintanance at the moment... rain rain rain) and I just got a new substrate and plants for my tank and i'm loving the look of it.

tank new bottom 2.jpg

tank new bottom.jpg

Do you see my blue crayfish?

The goldfish is going nuts with the new substrate though... I couldnt keep the plants in.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Waddya mean? I've been out there more the last week than ever! Three new air stones installed, insane aeration! Trimmed the growth around the falls and "bog" even added a lighthouse to the exterior. I think more ready for winter than ever. Thankfully, I go back to work within the week so yea I won't around here as much.

Nice Tank.. And crayfish Nepen.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
ok i can start and said i'm busy with my tank now (not doing any pond maintanance at the moment... rain rain rain) and I just got a new substrate and plants for my tank and i'm loving the look of it.

View attachment 86744
View attachment 86745

Do you see my blue crayfish?

The goldfish is going nuts with the new substrate though... I couldnt keep the plants in.
I love the crayfish :D . I used to have a pair of them when I had the 150 gallon saltwater tank setup. They stayed in the brackish block while the other side was mainly full of oscar fish

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Don't worry @Mmathis ... Between my turtles crazy stunts and the royal treatment I give them not to mention my seemingly endless supply of insane post topics and random bits of controversial statements (that I always think about long after actually saying them) with all of that going I believe things should stay moving all winter long :ROFLMAO: :D

PS: Speaking of crazy posts that make no sense.... This is probably one of them :confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Nepen , I love the white and black goldfish with the moustache. Very unique (y) I want him! ;)

:)
He's one of the original watonia (actually he is listed as a wakin) I got! All of his friends disappeared throughout the year and he's the only remain.. he's my baby that's why he gets to be in the tank so I can see him all the time lol. he's probably happier in the pond though....

here's the pic of him when i got him.. his black grows and now have one tiny dot of red underneath the black.
black opal watonai.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nice Tank.. And crayfish Nepen.
I love the crayfish :D . I used to have a pair of them when I had the 150 gallon saltwater tank setup. They stayed in the brackish block while the other side was mainly full of oscar fish
Thanks! I love my cray. I have 2, male and female. I hope they give me babies but i have no luck as of yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was just feeling that end of summer melancholy myself @Mmathis . Our cool nights put an early end to our impatiens that we plant in our waterfalls - all dead overnight. So sad. They all need to be pulled out, but I can hardly bring myself to do it. I always replace them with pumpkins and gourds for some fall color - time to get to the pumpkin farm!

Ask a Question