Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here is a gratuitous terrapin shot for @brokensword

View attachment 137979

This one is an ornate dbt, so it comes in for the winter as this is a southern climate species. Another week or two it can go back outside with its northern buddies. Saw two of the males the other day in the main pond, but they where gone by the time I came back out with my phone. So figured this can tide you over until they are out and about more.
thanks jhn, but you underestimate my zeal toward seeing your pics! This is hardly even an appetizer, but I DO appreciate the effort. Would love to see them in your pond(s), interacting naturally and such. ONE day, I WILL get one. That's why I tend to pay attention to your turtle posts, so I can learn what I need to know from someone with experience! They are so very cool. I do worry re feeding them as I don't know if I'll get into buying/finding? the crustaceans they want. Was hoping they'd do well on koi or turtle processed food, but the more I think about it, the more I know I'll do what is necessary if I ever get one.

My painteds are still in their basement pool, waiting to be let loose. We're still in the 50s here, with lows in the 20s coming this week, so I didn't want to rush the process. I'll live vicariously through your pics, don't you worry!

Thanks again for posting!

Ad

Advertisements

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
thanks jhn, but you underestimate my zeal toward seeing your pics! This is hardly even an appetizer, but I DO appreciate the effort. Would love to see them in your pond(s), interacting naturally and such. ONE day, I WILL get one. That's why I tend to pay attention to your turtle posts, so I can learn what I need to know from someone with experience! They are so very cool. I do worry re feeding them as I don't know if I'll get into buying/finding? the crustaceans they want. Was hoping they'd do well on koi or turtle processed food, but the more I think about it, the more I know I'll do what is necessary if I ever get one.

My painteds are still in their basement pool, waiting to be let loose. We're still in the 50s here, with lows in the 20s coming this week, so I didn't want to rush the process. I'll live vicariously through your pics, don't you worry!

Thanks again for posting!
Yes they do well on processed turtle food that is the staple of their diet for me. I buy a variety of brands. The other stuff are mainly treats, they would do fine without it. They will also eat the snails in your pond.

How do your painted turtles do in your pond with your plants? Wouldn’t mind seeing some pics of your turtles once they are let loose in your pond. Your pond greenhouse is a cool idea to keep the pond warmer during the winter and keep predators out. I had painteds years ago but they trashed the plants I had in my first pond.

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes they do well on processed turtle food that is the staple of their diet for me. I buy a variety of brands. The other stuff are mainly treats, they would do fine without it. They will also eat the snails in your pond.

How do your painted turtles do in your pond with your plants? Wouldn’t mind seeing some pics of your turtles once they are let loose in your pond. Your pond greenhouse is a cool idea to keep the pond warmer during the winter and keep predators out. I had painteds years ago but they trashed the plants I had in my first pond.
that's good to hear re feeding your diamonbacks! Makes the prospect a lot more viable. If you have a gopro type cam with underwater case, it would be interesting to see them under the water. Hint, hint! :p

I usually take a lot of turtle pics as they're pretty photogenic! I'll put some up probably June, maybe mid-May. Depends on the weather. Made them a new basking log (among the others that stay along the banks) out of cork as the old one finally got too water-logged (pun intended!).

My painteds DID like to eat the parrot's feather and varigated clover (and probably the hyacinth roots, but I can't tell as the underwater cam doesn't show that part of the pond) so I've had to create nets and such to keep that type of plant. Any overgrowth is open for snacking, though. The lilies occasionally get nipped (I think; it might be the koi) but I don't see them actively doing any damage.

Now, I deliberately started with small, 2-3" painteds hoping their size would stop them from doing much damage to either fish or plants. Hoping they'd 'grow up' with the fish and essentially leave them alone. Which so far is working. I put a large, adult male in there one time that I found wandering across the road and noticed nipped tails immediately, so he went to the big pond down the road. Diamondbacks don't get much larger than the painteds, if I remember right. Would you recommend getting more than one, if I end up going that route, or would one be just fine by itself? I tend to like to get pairs, at least, not that I'm really looking for baby turtles (that's for the painteds, in time, hopefully).

Thanks for all the turtle talk, jhn!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
that's good to hear re feeding your diamonbacks! Makes the prospect a lot more viable. If you have a gopro type cam with underwater case, it would be interesting to see them under the water. Hint, hint! :p

I usually take a lot of turtle pics as they're pretty photogenic! I'll put some up probably June, maybe mid-May. Depends on the weather. Made them a new basking log (among the others that stay along the banks) out of cork as the old one finally got too water-logged (pun intended!).

My painteds DID like to eat the parrot's feather and varigated clover (and probably the hyacinth roots, but I can't tell as the underwater cam doesn't show that part of the pond) so I've had to create nets and such to keep that type of plant. Any overgrowth is open for snacking, though. The lilies occasionally get nipped (I think; it might be the koi) but I don't see them actively doing any damage.

Now, I deliberately started with small, 2-3" painteds hoping their size would stop them from doing much damage to either fish or plants. Hoping they'd 'grow up' with the fish and essentially leave them alone. Which so far is working. I put a large, adult male in there one time that I found wandering across the road and noticed nipped tails immediately, so he went to the big pond down the road. Diamondbacks don't get much larger than the painteds, if I remember right. Would you recommend getting more than one, if I end up going that route, or would one be just fine by itself? I tend to like to get pairs, at least, not that I'm really looking for baby turtles (that's for the painteds, in time, hopefully).

Thanks for all the turtle talk, jhn!
That’s cool that they don’t mess with the plants much, I really like painted turtles not the plant munching though, once I moved I gave my painteds away, as I didn’t want to deal with them eating my plant. I can’t have a pond without turtles though, so ended up with the terrapins, which are strictly carnivore.

Yep the male dbt max out at about 5” or so, females can get larger around 9-10”, which still isn’t that big. You can go either way getting a pair or just one, if you get an adult just make sure it is being kept in freshwater, as they can develop skin and shell issues if you try to switch an adult from salt water to fresh. Young ones are fine though. Also, you can only tell males from females as they mature, males have a bigger tail and their cloacal opening is beyond the edge of there shell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had painteds years ago but they trashed the plants I had in my first pond
i'd welcome turtles but i love my moss more then turtles or ducks as they munched on the moss as well. I found some moss in West Virginia that was growing in full sun but was also thriving in a stream and the culture i brought back is doing better then i ever hoped for.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
4B25EAAF-A44A-4F6E-B9B9-519FDF855FC2.jpeg C44C87BD-5626-4D28-835F-2E7F7079BF1F.jpeg
distance pond shots from the back deck and gratuitous koi shot in the new digs now that the leak is fixed and ponds are connected, netting is up so no free lunches for the local birds. Just got do some landscaping, and mess with the bog waterfall to get it how I want it.

last pic has the shark fin rock hiding the pump vault in the intake bay.
B4688210-C36C-4F69-A04E-806035281F98.jpeg 50F6A5BD-FE15-43F3-A7AA-AE923302D3A5.jpeg

and some close ups

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love the net high up . The whole thing is looking sweet. Well worth the effort. Yeah I know easy for me to say

Reactions: Jhn

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Love the net high up . The whole thing is looking sweet. Well worth the effort. Yeah I know easy for me to say
Haha, it definitely was worth the effort. Questioning it when I was looking for the leak. Got the net curtain idea from you, definitely happy with how that came out. It is great being able to pull the net back out of the way when hanging out on the deck.

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haha, it definitely was worth the effort. Questioning it when I was looking for the leak. Got the net curtain idea from you, definitely happy with how that came out. It is great being able to pull the net back out of the way when hanging out on the deck.
@Jhn ; I see a fence of some sort in one of the pics; is that what you have surrounding the area to keep your turtles in? At first, it didn't look like you had anything and I wondered how you did it!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn ; I see a fence of some sort in one of the pics; is that what you have surrounding the area to keep your turtles in? At first, it didn't look like you had anything and I wondered how you did it!
The area of the new pond that comes up closer to the house has a 6x6 and 6x8 sunk into the ground abit and stacked on top of each other running about 50’ to contain the terrapins instead of a fence, On the pond side of the timber’s I dug a trench angling down, then there is going to be a top cap that overhangs the inside, so the turtles will have to go down into the trench, then climb up 14-15”, then go inverted to get over and out of the pond. Hopefully, none of them can channel their inner Mission Impossible Tom Cruise.

That area has 2 nets that hang on a cable that I stretch across the openings to keep predators out when we aren’t out there.

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The area of the new pond that comes up closer to the house has a 6x6 and 6x8 sunk into the ground abit and stacked on top of each other running about 50’ to contain the terrapins instead of a fence, On the pond side of the timber’s I dug a trench angling down, then there is going to be a top cap that overhangs the inside, so the turtles will have to go down into the trench, then climb up 14-15”, then go inverted to get over and out of the pond. Hopefully, none of them can channel their inner Mission Impossible Tom Cruise.

That area has 2 nets that hang on a cable that I stretch across the openings to keep predators out when we aren’t out there.
I would imagine the dbt aren't as adept at climbing as the painteds? Also, any predators that might come for the dbts? I'm thinking fox, coyote, maybe even the winged variety; is the whole area netted against the birds?

Ad

Advertisements

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would imagine the dbt aren't as adept at climbing as the painteds? Also, any predators that might come for the dbts? I'm thinking fox, coyote, maybe even the winged variety; is the whole area netted against the birds?
Yes, the whole area save for the bogs at either end are netted, so unless the go back there no predators can get in to get them. Dbt’s rarely leave the water other than sitting on logs to bask, the big females will leave the water to lay eggs, but they can be large Enough at that point to deter most predators.

DBT’s are pretty good climbers, maybe not quite as adept as painteds, but the overhang should keep them from getting up and over the edge, Unless they start giving each other boosts over the top.

Ask a Question