This is what happens when your nephew is in IT and its your birthday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm the nephew! :D

You get a gargantuan 43 inch monitor so you never again on the phone say "I can't see what you're talking about" when its time for tech support! I figure in less stress alone I'll live another 2 years longer.

20180930_141715_zpsegcppc4y.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Whoot! Someone is military! And yes, with those, bigger is better, and the more the merrier. Which is why my dad has three good sized monitors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Re tech support..... A few years ago my wife parents asked me to help them with their computer. When I got there I realized their mouse didn't work and that was the major problem. I asked them if they ever changed the batteries. Batteries? for what? They didn't realize that mouse uses batteries. So I popped a new one in an voila' everything was good again! Anyway for months after that they told our other family members how smart I was for fixing their computer problem!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great present!

I used to get calls from my Dad, constantly, about his system not working. His problem, he and one of my sisters that came over, would unplug everything so hackers could not enter his computer and see his photos he took. And of course he could never get it plugged in right again. Mouse, key board, tower unplugged every night, mouse and key board hidden somewhere.

Drove me crazy!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
She hadn't paid her internet bill.
My dad also hid the stuff, in case someone broke into his home and wanted to fire up his computer and see his pictures. His pictures where nature, flowers, some of the kids. Nothing ummmmmmmmm nasty.

I always told him they would just take the tower..............

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
@MitchM is right though. For those of us who are IT support for our families, have everyone install Teamviewer so you can remotely take over. Its a lifesaver!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@MitchM is right though. For those of us who are IT support for our families, have everyone install Teamviewer so you can remotely take over. Its a lifesaver!!
My support is no longer needed, :( passed at 89yo

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
have everyone install Teamviewer so you can remotely take over. Its a lifesaver!!

That's a great tip! Apple used to have a remote screen share feature that was part of iChat. It was ideal for me with my mom as she lives 40 minutes away. I'm glad to hear of a good alternative! Now I can go back to repeating over and over and over "don't touch the mouse mom! You're touching the mouse! Don't do that!"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Is ok We managed to keep him at home, our home, until the end. He was very afraid of nursing homes.

I am personally and vehemently against nursing homes and I admire you even more for taking care of your loved one.

I know for some they are necessary but I've seen through personal and painful experience how unforgiving they are on our relatives and the loneliness and depression they ferment.

Ask a Question