This is what I did and why I did it. WARNING long read.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
OTHER THAN A GENRAC GENERATOR i have opted for a solar panel and water pump that was 2000 gph
Have a generac on my house, but realized this winter when I lost power, that I never hooked up the dedicated pond circuit to it…. I was smart enough to at least hook up my reef tank on it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
getting it out of the hole took another 6 hrs. to give you some perspective that S.O.B. is over 3' tall and 5' wide and it took my lil tractor everything it had just to drag it on flat ground.
20220413_154458.jpg
That size boulder is unforgiving. Yes it is a nightmare to move but in doing so you have to be beyond careful, as it can suddenly shift and it can do so without warning. When it does you don't want to be there. MY HAT OFF TO YOU FIGHTING THAT BEAST WITH NO EQUIPMENT. Heck moving that boulder with a mini excavator can be a challenge.

i Know one thing that boulder that you mastered after so many hours would get a premium home in the landscape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That size boulder is unforgiving. Yes it is a nightmare to move but in doing so you have to be beyond careful, as it can suddenly shift and it can do so without warning. When it does you don't want to be there. MY HAT OFF TO YOU FIGHTING THAT BEAST WITH NO EQUIPMENT. Heck moving that boulder with a mini excavator can be a challenge.

i Know one thing that boulder that you mastered after so many hours would get a premium home in the landscape.

I've seen several youtube videos of pond builders standing in really dangerous positions and putting their hands where they shouldn't when moving boulders and even looking at the camera and saying "you shouldn't do this, but I'm paying close attention and if the rock falls, I'll move out of the way." And I just think to myself, This person clearly has no concept of the power of gravity." There is no getting out of the way "in time" when something goes wrong. They've just gotten lucky for a long time and mistake that luck for wisdom. Like a lottery winner thinking they're a finance guru.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
On average it takes the average person 2 seconds to react to a situation one second to see and analyze whats happening and one second to plan an escape. The escape should be known before putting your self there. In short you lose at it doesn't have to be a 5 foot boulder that can only be very dangerous a simple softball sized rock rolling into the excavation when your on your knees can knock you out or worse.
I Have to agree I have watched many hours of videos and I can only remember a few that was osha compliant. Something all my projects have to follow to the letter. Endless slings frayed. Working in a excavation that's deeper than 4 feet with no shoring or benching. no hard hats, gloves or glasses or safety vests " for that reason alone I'd like to start building ponds" And my favorite riding on equipment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@GBBUDD @combatwombat With my job experiences you had to be certified in many fields, confined space rescue, ropes, winches, O.S.H.A, EMS, all drilled in to you to never put yourself in a situation you can not ever get out of. your (mine) safety is the utmost importance first. I never put myself behind this boulder or where it would trap me. it would not be considered a "rescue" it would be a "body recovery". yes there were times I did stupid things like stepping over a rope under extreme tension but never did a put myself behind this massive amount of weight that could let loose at a moments notice. I knew were my escape routes were and my heightened awareness was off the scale. I listen to music when I'm outside... all the time, if i'm going to listen to something so do my neighbors. when I was moving this rock it was silent, I needed to listen to everything I was doing, no distractions. The time it took was not just moving, stabilizing and securing but to stop and think, figure out the my safety zones.. green, yellow, red. never put yourself in a red zone or aka dead zone.

trust me many time my wife would ask who am I taking to, the answers always the same, I'd be cussing my self out for doing stupid sh*t. she'd look at me like I'm crazy. maybe I am but I'm having a lot of fun on my way to the crazy train.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am beyond cautious, cross tie ladders so they can't slip, seat belt, safety bar up when running the tractor, even on flat ground.

Hand on bucket control, one quick push up and it hits the ground, good if tipping, which so far only did once.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD @combatwombat With my job experiences you had to be certified in many fields, confined space rescue, ropes, winches, O.S.H.A, EMS, all drilled in to you to never put yourself in a situation you can not ever get out of. your (mine) safety is the utmost importance first. I never put myself behind this boulder or where it would trap me. it would not be considered a "rescue" it would be a "body recovery". yes there were times I did stupid things like stepping over a rope under extreme tension but never did a put myself behind this massive amount of weight that could let loose at a moments notice. I knew were my escape routes were and my heightened awareness was off the scale. I listen to music when I'm outside... all the time, if i'm going to listen to something so do my neighbors. when I was moving this rock it was silent, I needed to listen to everything I was doing, no distractions. The time it took was not just moving, stabilizing and securing but to stop and think, figure out the my safety zones.. green, yellow, red. never put yourself in a red zone or aka dead zone.

trust me many time my wife would ask who am I taking to, the answers always the same, I'd be cussing my self out for doing stupid sh*t. she'd look at me like I'm crazy. maybe I am but I'm having a lot of fun on my way to the crazy train.
Sorry you took it as you were not on your game, it was more for others reading your post. Stick around long enough and you'll understand. It's obvious you have been in the trades and have had your hands dirty.

Your not alone on the crazy train though i have to enforce osha on the job . it has not always been so to say the least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry you took it as you were not on your game,
not at all. we all become narrow sighted and fail to see the big picture.
it was more for others reading your post.
Stick around long enough and you'll understand.
I'll try
It's obvious you have been in the trades and have had your hands dirty.

Your not alone on the crazy train though i have to enforce osha on the job . it has not always been so to say the least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
sorry to hear that, @combatwombat

Thanks. I climbed it in 2011 and when he went in 2015, he asked for help planning the fastest route up because he was short on time and I told him to take the Western Breach because all the other routes are 8+ days.

Western Breach is notoriously dangerous for rock fall and I totally glossed over that fact. He took my advice and it killed him. His wife was there too. Had to help carry his body down, head caved in and arm partially severed.

Softball-sized rock.

Have moved past most regrets I’ve felt in life. Don’t think I’ll ever shake that one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks. I climbed it in 2011 and when he went in 2015, he asked for help planning the fastest route up because he was short on time and I told him to take the Western Breach because all the other routes are 8+ days.

Western Breach is notoriously dangerous for rock fall and I totally glossed over that fact. He took my advice and it killed him. His wife was there too. Had to help carry his body down, head caved in and arm partially severed.

Softball-sized rock.

Have moved past most regrets I’ve felt in life. Don’t think I’ll ever shake that one.
my deepest heart felt condolences

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If he was going up Kilimanjaro He was no stranger to the risks. That's no day treck. He asked for the quickest route you gave him an option that he asked for. You didn't drag him there.
It sucks that happened so sorry I refreshed your memory. But that's why we go to these places . it's not the city park that falls short. It is the adrenalin rush, the sense of accomplishment and discipline the beauty that drags us there .
Wrong place at the wrong time. The original 20 wing parachuter's are all victims of there love. yet many still go. No risk no reward
I feel so for his Wife.

Ask a Question