This makes sense..... Right?

Reaction score
Well here we are again a new year and what do you know I want to redo the pond AGAIN..... boy thats a shocker well as beutiful as my pond looks at the moment there quite a few problems with it lets begin.

1. It is way to small for koi I calculated 850 gallons and with it all rocked in its probably 700 gallons. ( and I have five koi rangeing from 6-13 inches)

2. I have no skimmer. I tried to make one and It worked but it takes away from the look of the pond.

3.I want more koi! five is definetly not enough.

4. I Have a crappy liner I got at lowes that sucks and its not even rubber or pvc liner.

5. not enough area for bacteria to colinize.

6. fish arnt happy I wondered why they were so shy and would refuse to eat now I know

Know that you all know whats wrong with my pond Id like to introduce you to my new plan for a bigger and more efficient ecosystem koi pond.

1. The pond will be at a good 2000 or so gallons allowing enough space for plenty of fish while not exceding the small area I have to work in.

2. The pond will have a huge skimmer houseing two pumps the 1900 GPH pump I currently have and a lets say 2500 or so GPH pump. The combined power of both pumps will not excede the skimmer that I chose flow rate which is 7000 GPH but the pumps+ skimmer will keep the pond clear. The 1900 GPH pump will head to the atlantic waterfall filter I already have and will create a smaller waterfall at around 24in in height, The second pump will deliver to a larger biofilter/filterand have a 32-36inch waterfall both emptying back into the pond.

3. The pond will consist of shelves to ensure I get maximum planting oprtunities which will be easier to rock in. The pond will be exactly 36inches following up with a shelf at about 18 inches give or take a few follwed by a instant 1 foot shelf in the middle of the pond in the 3ft which makes it 24 inches deep in that spot that area will also have a trench with a 1 foot diameter pipe for a koi tunnel.

4. The pond will be rocked in have a bacteria added each week and have tones of plants

Below is a photo of the pond

IMG_0476.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Will be looking forward to being able to watch you make it bigger. Your koi will love you for it!

Ask a Question