This Red/Brown Stuff Keeps Coming Back....

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We continue to have issues with this reddish brown algae? on the waterfall rocks and slowly around the liner.
We had some high nitrite levels and did two 50% water changes last week three days apart.

Not sure what is causing it.
IMG_2855.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Brown algae is a type of cyanobacteria and is not actually algae at all. It tends to out-compete green (actual) algae in environments that have less direct sunlight. It feeds off nitrates and phosphates just like green algae.

Best way to get rid of it is to finish cycling your new pond and add more plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know, I read that. But more is always recommended with an algae/cyanobacteria problem--or reducing the bioload (removing fish).

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Fair enough, we will see about getting some more.
You are correct about it not getting direct sunlight, gets about 2-3 hours in the morning and then shade from there on in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dutchman0222 As I was Googling this, I ran across this thread from GPF (it’s us: Garden Pond Forum!) from about 8 years ago. It’s an oldie but a goodie!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
First, if you had high nitrites than your pond is not completed the cycle. What you are seeing is just all part of the process and it will take a good long time before you can consider your pond established. Once the cycle completes and the nitrifying bacteria start producing nitrate you’ll notice more green algae and you’ll probably get string algae. Plants plants and plants and a lot of patience.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd recommend you stop with the water changes - you're setting your pond back to "start" every time you do that, especially at 50%. Let your pond mature and see where it takes you. Most pond "problems" aren't really problems at all quite honestly, especially when they involve algae.

I think that looks like pretty normal algae starting on your rocks by the way - maybe a bit slimy? You'll find as your pond matures, the algae will change over time. And you should expect and welcome algae growth - all healthy ponds have algae.

Ask a Question