this waterfall filter looks interesting

Reaction score
3000gph is good for the 100gal? Jeez don’t show me another design. Just kidding. But should I upgrade from the 1200gph to the 1900gph? I didn’t bring it with me to work, but I will have to go to a different lowes anyways so I can do it later if I decide to go bigger. I do think it will make for a better waterfall and if the filter can handle it with an increase in .4amps, whatever do it right? I am returning my 325gph to go with a 550gph instead for the fines, thou I almost want to go to the 700 or 1000 even, but I must resist.
And 2-2" bottom drains? I certainly dont want to spend the money for a 3" ball valve, but maybe do it completely separate with 2-2" ball valves. It may be overkill, but, at the same time it seems like a good idea to get faster drainage so I never clog. I ordered another box of 24 sos scrubby balls to have one complete bottom layer of them (99 balls). So now Ive spent about $200 on filter media. I did plan to do mine on the bottom and support the filter in cinder blocks or something so that I can get all the gunk out.

Reaction score
Not sure if my questions got overlook, but woud the 1900gph be better for me?

Assuming my 1200gph will flow about 1000gph with 2' head, It would have 4.2 minutes in the barrell assuming 70gal water in the 100gal filter.

Assuming a 1900 flows 1700 it would have 2.5 minutes in the filter.

Assuming 3000gph even at 100gal with no media it is only in there for 2 minutes. I know the logner the better, but also the more then better the falls so stick with 1200 of go to 1900 because of the head loss it will flow less anyways and give me a better falls. I got a sweet rock for the falls so I want it to be spectacular.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use the 1200gph tetrapond on mine...good looking waterfall. plenty of flow.
checkout the pix in the gallery..even a close up..it'll give you a clue.. that rock is curved..thats like 17 " or so of width in water sheet.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
How about a plastic In-Basket? I just brought one home that was in the trash at work and it looks both rugged and functional.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's Gene Winstead's site and he sells the SS spilways but he's out . here's what's on his web page.
"Sorry, we've sold all the spillways and heavy duty ploy grates that we had in stock. You can get them from Economy Aquatic Gardens in Louisville, KY at the address and phone number listed below."

Economy Aquatic Gardens
2915 Preston Hwy
Louisville, KY 40217

Phone: 502 637-8927

nigil said:
This look awesome. Anyone know where to get the spillway? Gonna use this as a bog/streamed waterfall setup.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DrDave said:
How about a plastic In-Basket? I just brought one home that was in the trash at work and it looks both rugged and functional.

An in-basket is where people, mostly engineers place 8 1/2" X 11" documents into for your approval or review. It is an office thing.

Reaction score
Thats a great idea! Cheap to, would I line the In-basket with liner or just put the liner between the basket and tub. DO they come bigger than 8 1/2" x11?

Ask a Question