Thoughts on a gravel filter

Reaction score
So I need to go from my DIY filter to the pond distance about 1.5 metres (4' 6" ) at the moment it is a temporary (and ugly) white pipe while I test the filter. was contemplating a small pebble stream but then thought... about a gravel type filter or bog filter but it needs to be buried so I came up with this plan......
Gravity from existing filter to gravel one pipe with holes in runs along the bottom of a trough which is buried to just above pond level.water up flows through gravel and then to pond.
When it comes to cleaning time turn off the flow and cap the outlet to the pond, run some air through the air manifold and use a shop vac to suck up the dirty water on top of the sand and the fixed tube allows a wet vac to be pushed down to the sump for cleaning this out.
Any thoughts guys and girls

And now the questions
1. is this a real crap idea
2. was thinking of using a small kiddies sand box as a container as it is the right size (1 m x 0.8 m, 3' x 2' 8") fits nicely in the space available but not very deep. is there a minimum depth of sand and gravel for it to be effective, how much water should sit on top of the sand. dont want sand in the pond do we now.
3. Would like to grow some plants in there in the gravel veggie filter style does this mean I should get rid of the sand and if so would this be effective with just the gravel
4. am i right in thinking that sand gravel filters need cleaning but bog type filters dont.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Reaction score
Doh
Forgot to add the sketch:rolleyes:

and now its on its side ????

Attachments

• gravel.jpg
    gravel.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 448

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did a lot of research about bogs, you are doing one very similar to mine. I am using 2 inch pvc piping and cutting slots into it 1/3 of the way through.

The pipes placed on the liner holes/slots facing down to the liner. The pea gravel put on top of the pipes. Most say you do not need to clean a bog, there is some stuff you can buy if you think yours is getting crud build up. The main thing is to have enough flow.

Ours will be planted, the gravel will be to the top, ie no standing water on top of the gravel, so the water has to work its way through the plants to add to the filter effect.

Then it will water fall back into the pond.

You might be better with pea gravel vs sand. sand will clog faster

Ask a Question