Thoughts on a skimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the Uk many of the built in skimmers like Helix, Alantic are not available. We can get Aquascape which over priced and the Oace Biosys, which is a little small to fit a my pump in.

My pond is quite a comtempoary looking pond so a inlet bay want look right and I think it will over complcate things

So I was intend to build a little nock in my pond which will be coved by a deck with a lift up hatch, so I was thinking of putting in a somthing like a Oase AquaSkim 40, will a pump behind it. The design of pond means the nock with the skimmer in will not easily be seen.

I read the Helix get good reviews, but what I can tell it's just a round surface skimmer in a box, so why not just use a round surface skimmer?

Also I was just going to use a submersible pump, easy to use and the water helps keeps the pump noise down, any reason why not too?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For a surface skimmer, it depends on the size of the pond. They work OK in smaller ponds. Most have a habit of “popping up,” which causes the skimmer to run dry…..a problem, if there are fish stuck inside, and can burn out the pump if you don’t catch it in time. I have an Oase Swim Skim (I think that’s what it’s called). I am currently not in a situation where a regular skimmer is possible. I would much prefer a built-in skimmer, or an intake bay. Surface skimmers are best for smaller, after-build ponds. Just MHO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If your still building and don’t mind the look, the aladdin “no niche skimmer“ work great too and you can use solid pipe to it.

36FDA298-4843-464F-B02C-29F7DE0714DA.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your building a contemporary pond . then id guess your construction skills are adequate. i would make my own and i can't believe this isn't the standard for raised ponds over there.
I'd make like a 3 foot wide opening / a lower edge along the pond. this is where your water level will be. the shallower the area the more it will pull in from the surface. anhd once it drops over that edge i'd have a dyi sieve. then pump to the bog.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your still building and don’t mind the look, the aladdin “no niche skimmer“ work great too and you can use solid pipe to it.

View attachment 153697

I will start building soon. I'm looking at something like the no niche skimmer, but one that works with an submersible pump, some like this, so basically the same thing
1661763358317.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a surface skimmer, it depends on the size of the pond. They work OK in smaller ponds. Most have a habit of “popping up,” which causes the skimmer to run dry…..a problem, if there are fish stuck inside, and can burn out the pump if you don’t catch it in time. I have an Oase Swim Skim (I think that’s what it’s called). I am currently not in a situation where a regular skimmer is possible. I would much prefer a built-in skimmer, or an intake bay. Surface skimmers are best for smaller, after-build ponds. Just MHO.
I think of something like this
1661763553499.png

They work upto 20000lph and for ponds up tp 40m2. I will be using it in conjunction with a bottom drain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your building a contemporary pond . then id guess your construction skills are adequate. i would make my own and i can't believe this isn't the standard for raised ponds over there.
I'd make like a 3 foot wide opening / a lower edge along the pond. this is where your water level will be. the shallower the area the more it will pull in from the surface. anhd once it drops over that edge i'd have a dyi sieve. then pump to the bog.
I have thought of doing this, it will make the box welded liner a bit more expensive, but my main concern is it will need a very stable water height. one of the advantages of the no niche skimmer (i've just leant the proper name for them) is they can work with a variable level pond, up to about 100mm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I haven't watched all the videos but I know Ozponds has some DIY Skimmer instructions on Youtube. Just in case you want to check those out before making a decision.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't watched all the videos but I know Ozponds has some DIY Skimmer instructions on Youtube. Just in case you want to check those out before making a decision.
Yes I've watched them, they are very good and highly recommend them.

My pond is a bit different as it is contemporary with no rocks and gravel

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I will start building soon. I'm looking at something like the no niche skimmer, but one that works with an submersible pump, some like this, so basically the same thing View attachment 153698
I have a very similar skimmer and took it out, it ate a lot of my 2-3” goldfish even at low flow rates. Bigger fish are probably ok.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very similar skimmer and took it out, it ate a lot of my 2-3” goldfish even at low flow rates. Bigger fish are probably ok.
That's not good.

I hope to have a few bigger fish rather than lots of small fish so may not be such a problem, but definitely with noting, thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I had a skimmer, I got rid of it. It wasn't a high end one. It was made by Tetra.

It used an external submersible pump.
Tiny debris would get past the filter pads in the skimmer and that would constantly jam up the pump's impeller. I tried adding different or more filter pads, but that didn't help.

I would also find on several occasions, fish caught up inside.

The skimmer would also suck in floating plants. I ran a fishing line across the pond near the skimmer to prevent this.

I also had to rinse the skimmer filter pads way too often.

It just became such a hassle, so I got rid of it.
I much prefer as little maintenance as possible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have thought of doing this, it will make the box welded liner a bit more expensive, but my main concern is it will need a very stable water height. one of the advantages of the no niche skimmer (i've just leant the proper name for them) is they can work with a variable level pond, up to about 100mm
your not going through all this work and no adding a automatic water replacement system or a cistern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the Oase skimmer in my 3,500gal pond.l am very pleased with it.lt keeps the duckweed at bay and traffic fumes, leaves etc., no spare food hanging around too. The basket sits just under the water so no fish can get sucked in.l needed to buy a second basket to change over as it picks up all sorts, especially through Autumn etc.Duckweed can clog as well.

Ask a Question