Thoughts on Jebao CF-20 Bio-Pressure UVC Pond Filter?

Reaction score
Hey all, need your opinions on this product - Jebao CF-20 Bio-Pressure UVC Pond Filter. Does anyone here use it or know someone that has and if it's a descent product? Seems like a good price (about 1/2 the price of the same product from Tetra). It will be used for a 1500 gallon pond with a 3500 pump. Currently I am running a Tetra pressurized filter rated at 2500 gal/hr but i don't think it's cutting it, so I would like to add this to work in parallel with the Tetra filter. Thanks

http://www.jebaopump...ond-Filter.html

Product Description
Item: CF-20
Jebao Bio-Pressure UVC Pond Filter
9W UVC light pond filter
Featuring: (Back-Flushing Function)
*Simply back flush the unit to clean the filter and it is ready to continue its work!
Unit Volume: 5.28 gallons
Ponds size: 2100 gallons
Water in/out connector size: 3/4", 1", 1 1/4" and 1.5"
Reguired Pump Flow rate: 850GPH (pump not included)
UV(W): 9W (included)
Unit size:14(Dia)"x20"(H)
Power cord: 14.5'(filter to adaptor)+6'(adaptor to wall plug

Attachments

• cf20__95205_zoom.jpg
    cf20__95205_zoom.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,115

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I love how they rate that for 2100 gallons, Sure it will work great on a 2000 gallon pond with Uhhh no fish. Add fish say 2-3, now it's probably rated for 500 gallons, I don't recommend having it outside with water in it the first time it reaches 25 degrees out side It will burst and be 100% worthless.
seriously, If you want a pond that is going to stay clear, keep ammonia levels and nitrites to a minimal, and function year after year, You need a far bigger filter media for the bacteria to do their part than that. I honestly believe if you start cutting cost on your filter going to something such as a small cheap pressurized filter your just making yourself a headache for the future. for about the same price you can get a filter fall unit, stuff it full of media and get three or four times the filter for about the same cost if not cheaper and they are far easier to hide and make look natural than a Pressure filter. Spend the same amount on a DYI skippy or DOC barrel filter and you'll get so much more filter for your money, but they are harder to hide. In my opinion about the only good use of a small filter like that is a small pond for hospital or quarantine, or maybe a small pond for raising some fry or very small fish. Not a good choice for a full blown pond and for sure not a good choice for a well stocked Goldfish or adult koi pond.

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with cost cutting. I don't have the room for a 55gal skippy filter without it being a complete eye sore. What exactly is a "filter fall unit"?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A filter incorporated in a waterfall unit.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. Just my thought.

Build your own non pressorized bio filter and find a place to hide it. Then plumb it to your pond.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a savio filter falls and you wouldn't see it unless you knew what you were looking for. I would encourage you to build your own skippy or doc bio filter and find a way to fit it into the landscaping. Do you have any pics of the area of your pond, we may be able to give some suggestions.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I mentioned cost cutting because you compared the jebao to the Tetra for half the price. have you ever visited a pond with full size mature Koi/ If not I highly recommend you see if you have anyone local you can go and visit. I've gone back through and read your posts. I have many concerns for you in the future with what you have in mind and your goals for raising koi. Personally, If it was me I would concentrate more on quality,(water quality, health quality, fish quality,) Not as much on quanity, reduce your fish numbers, do more research on options for higher water quality, and focus on a select few fish that will stand out. For instance, KoiGuy he has 5 very nice fish, he is able to raise and sucseefully breed his koi and his water stays prsitine clear and healthy. he uses filters that can easily handle his bio load and is able to enjoy the hobby with far less headaches and far more enjoyment due to the fact that he is able to maintain his population in Very good quality water and health. Five fish may not sound like many but look how healthy they are, and his pond looks great.
Pressurized filters may be easy to hide but they just aren't reputable filters for maintaining large populations and they are IMO the worst type filter for Koi ponds as they can be unreliable and clog easy, don't have the surface area for bio filter that many other types of filters have, and the can cause serious headaches when a malfunction does occur.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Here is the one I got for my pond, probably the same one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160442168129?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 I got it for convenience (and all respect to the DIYers on here, but I took the easy way out). My pond is about the same size as yours, although I have the whole stream to add for biological filtration. I did have green water in a bloom before I added this and it cleared up in about a day or two. I got it mostly for the little bit of mechanical filtration it would give me and for the UV filter. If you get it, make sure you pump the water through it at the recommended pressure so the UV works effectively. So far it is working for me, but like I said I have the stream to aid in biological filtration. And fishin4cars, I completely disregarded their recommended settings and got the size double my pond with the expectation that their recommended size was way off, or half of what they say it is. Was easy to set up and I used 1 1/2" tubing for it. Any questions on it let me know, but everyone else has a good point, pick what works best for yourself, your pond, and your fish.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful input. You have successfully persuaded me to go with a doc or skippy style filter. Will want it to be low profile hidden behind some wooden logs so will have to figure out what will work best; quarters are tight around the pond.

I figure I will split the output of my 3500g/h pump and send half through the pressurized filter which will dispense through the waterfall and the other half through the UV, bio doc / skippy filter and dispense directly into the pond. I have attached a photo for your viewing pleasure. Always open to your suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2011-07-04_17-33-48_899.jpg
    2011-07-04_17-33-48_899.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,417

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I sure like your pond and waterfall and neat seat built into the arbor. Watcha gonna grow up the arbor? If you plant grapes you'll get lovely little raccoons like tmann has on his property,lol!

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. Honestly I cant take any credit for it, It's all my fathers doing. He is a wood worker and designer so great with constructing but has not idea with regards to filtration, etc. There's actually an in pond skimmer hidden under the wood deck. A few of the planks on the wood deck pops up and allows easy access and cleaning of the skimmer net.

Re: arbor - Haven t really thought of that yet. The vines tend to flourish quite well so I expect them to eventually make their way up it; should look pretty cool once they do. I think I mentioned above that this is a rather new pond so still designing / tweaking. We have another independent 250g pond on the other side of the yard.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Your father is very good at his craft! Looks amazing. Not sure how much room you have behind the falls, but I would look to build the filter with a cover and hide it back there in the foliage somewhere.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Your father is very good at his craft! Looks amazing. Not sure how much room you have behind the falls, but I would look to build the filter with a cover and hide it back there in the foliage somewhere.
same thoughts here ... a stocktank filter, with a weir ..would probably tuck right back there....

Ask a Question