Thoughts on leaving pumps in pond during winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Last year I removed both the pumps from my pond and cleaned them really good with fresh water. After I cleaned them I soaked them with food grade silicone spray so it would be safe for the fish when I put them back in the pond come spring time. I doused every part of the pump I could. The rubber bushings and sprayed directly inside the impellers. Then I stored them in my warm attached to the house garage where even if there was residual water inside the pump somewhere it wouldn't freeze. This year Im wondering if I should just leave them in the bottom of the pond (about 3-3.5ft deep). It isn't out of laziness because when it comes to my pond maintenance Im sure not lazy. I just wanted to get some takes on what everybody else thinks....by the way the pumps Im referring to are the pump that controlls my waterfall (biofalls) and the pump that goes to my filter. I will be using 2 other pumps that control the airstones throughout the winter. Im still up in the air on using external pumps for that or using the Little Giant submersible pumps. Thats another discussion actually already in another thread

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have done that before but started bringing them in and storing them in a barrel of water in my basement. Reason being, it makes spring clean up easier with a clear pond bottom

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you're not going to have them running, I would remove them from the pond.
Otherwise, the pumps will serve as any other crevice in your pond and various critters will take up residence inside them.
That could make it difficult to start them up in the spring and possible cause some damage.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
If I DON'T run the pump I'd have a solid block of ice. Last winter was one of the worst for the pond we stayed single digits for 10 days and the warm up was slow. I think at one point it was 70% frozen. I was concerned about my fish and hardware but we made it thru.
002.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
015.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I leave mine in the pond but it only gets cold here for 2 maybe 3 months .I just lower them to the bottom .I put in a thousand gph pump and put the pond heater over top of it ..I think last year I turned me heater on 3 times and my waterfall filters ran until Jan. .I used to keep my fountain pond running in NJ almost all year round .The top part was not running but the lower one was and it was just over 2 feet deep .My son put in a stock tank heater and it kept a lot of it open .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
If I DON'T run the pump I'd have a solid block of ice. Last winter was one of the worst for the pond we stayed single digits for 10 days and the warm up was slow. I think at one point it was 70% frozen. I was concerned about my fish and hardware but we made it thru.View attachment 85885 View attachment 85885 View attachment 85886 View attachment 85887

If my pump was like that Id run it all year round as well...my waterfall is about 5-6ft above the pond. Not possible to let that run all winter. The other pump I have goes to an external filter. The filter would freeze during. Also not feasable

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
If my pump was like that Id run it all year round as well...my waterfall is about 5-6ft above the pond. Not possible to let that run all winter. The other pump I have goes to an external filter. The filter would freeze during. Also not feasable
I have to disconnect my waterfall in winter and I just leave the main pump circulating underwater to keep the ice broken up.... Didn't work to well for me last year but we made it. Removing the pumps is a good idea if they're expensive ones, I've had to replace more than one pump after a long hard winter. But I think you'd be fine to leave a submersed one in, even running. You have WAY more gallons than I.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
last year I only had ice on my pond 2 times and it was the clear glass kind .i had to make a video for my nephew so he could see the fish were OK .he is only 6

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
last year I only had ice on my pond 2 times and it was the clear glass kind .i had to make a video for my nephew so he could see the fish were OK .he is only 6
Those guy's don't seem to mind a little ice. I always get some but last year was the worst. I was actually surprised to see my fish in spring.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I will get a thin layer that snow will sit on top of but last year when I had to rebuild I got 4 snow storms that came and went .Had to work straight through them just to get done with the rebuild

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a

Ask a Question