Thoughts on light at night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I had a fellow ponder tell me she enjoys having her pond lit at night. She said the fish love swimming in and out of the light, getting bugs that land on the surface.

I got a couple of cheap, submersible, solar lights. They aren't that bright, but the two together give half the pond a nice, gentle glow. (This is in the deep part of the pond, where there is no beach or shelf for nighttime predators.)

I looked out this morning and the fish were swimming back and forth through the light.

The question is: is this OK for the fish? The lights are not bright, and they only affect about half of the pond. The fish still have their large cave to go into and that should be very dark. The other half of the pond has all the nooks and crannies to hide in -- many places to get out of the light.

Because the lights were cheap, they turn on when it's dark and stay on till it's light. (No fancy timer.) Is this harmful to the fish in any way?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is your pond netted? When I first lit up the pond, something at night took a big white fish I had, made it way to visible. This was before the anti heron net.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have underwater lights in my ponds that I run for 6-8 hous each night. Also have a floodlight lighting the area between the ponds. I like to be able to see the ponds at night. Hasn't caused any problems but didn't consider the predator factor Addy mentioned. I do have nets on both ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have had lights shine down my pond for a number of years. it attracts small bugs and the fish have a good time nibling on them, but I always had my light turn off around midnight. I think it makes sense to give the fish some downtime at night and not have lights on all the time. I think having it darker makes things less stressful because they are more hidden from preditors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We keep our pond lights (spots around the pond) on at night both for our enjoyment and to serve as a warning for anyone or anything who might decide to wander through the yard that there's water underfoot! They are on a timer so they go off on their own. The frogs love the lights - it's like a fast food drive thru for them!

@bagsmom - what kind of solar lights did you get? Our underwater pond lights gave out on us and I've been thinking of just getting some inexpensive solar ones. I like having the pond light from under water, but dread the thought of replacing the ones we have. Expensive and not very durable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I do not light my pond. I have some twinkly lights on a near by arbor and have porch lights that are dusk to dawn. I think they need a day and night rhythm like most living things.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have seen my fish sleep beside the lights, starring directly at it. One time 6 goldfish were all lined up around the light not moving, little bit weird that one.

Also I notice they're most playful at night with the lights on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@Lisak1 - I found them on Amazon. I think the search for solar submersible lights showed ones that changed color
but when I clicked to select, it gave the option of white lights and they were cheaper. (Colored ones were $25 or something.) They are cheap and I don't know how long they will last, but I like them. Fine for my purposes. I just sat them on a shelf and secured with a rock. For now I have the solar panel sitting out on a rock, but when I decide where to locate everything permanently, I'll just hide the cords with pebbles.
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 9.18.20 PM.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have seen my fish sleep beside the lights, starring directly at it. One time 6 goldfish were all lined up around the light not moving, little bit weird that one.

Also I notice they're most playful at night with the lights on.
Mine were just out playing around in the light, too. But I went out there since my neighbor said something got a bunch of her fish! Yikes! I decided to turn off the lights so it wouldn't be so easy for something to pick them off.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep my down lights on all night this way I can see the pond with the security cameras better .My one neighbor now has at last count 11 cats .I don't mind because they get field mice but they are spraying every where and they stalk the pond and they walk all over my vehicles .I can see the lay down spots under my front porch and the smell is terrible .One even got in the basement while I was mowing .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a fellow ponder tell me she enjoys having her pond lit at night. She said the fish love swimming in and out of the light, getting bugs that land on the surface.

I got a couple of cheap, submersible, solar lights. They aren't that bright, but the two together give half the pond a nice, gentle glow. (This is in the deep part of the pond, where there is no beach or shelf for nighttime predators.)

I looked out this morning and the fish were swimming back and forth through the light.

The question is: is this OK for the fish? The lights are not bright, and they only affect about half of the pond. The fish still have their large cave to go into and that should be very dark. The other half of the pond has all the nooks and crannies to hide in -- many places to get out of the light.

Because the lights were cheap, they turn on when it's dark and stay on till it's light. (No fancy timer.) Is this harmful to the fish in any way?

I have a lighting system (6 lights) for my pond that has a light sensor (comes on when it gets dark and goes off when the sun comes up). I plugged the lights into a timer ($20) and set the lights to come one and go off when I want them to. My point is - even tho your lights have a sensor, you can still use a timer! My pond’s lights go out at 11pm (past my bedtime). I agree with the comments of turning out the lights because of predators. Also, I’m sure the fish don’t like sleeping with the lights on anymore than you or I would (not certain about that…but there aren’t any pond lights in the wild - so it makes sense.) Fish need there darkness too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lights are also on all night more for security of someone falling in .

There's two huge areas the fish use to sleep in for the winter, but with the lights on as they are they never use them they line up against the current and snooze away. But I only use 1 and three watt LEDs nothing crazy bright like 6 watters they are wat to much for my taste

Ask a Question