Thoughts?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pretty much agree with everything that the author stated. It is fairly obvious that they have done some reading of peer-reviewed science research papers.
The one thing that I might have a problem with is what is deemed a proper turn-over rate for a pond....large or small. The one factor that heavily influences this determination the author skillfully avoids discussing in depth....fish load.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Really enjoyed reading this article, thanks for sharing. I'm trying to decide if I can run my sand & gravel winter this winter, so paid particular attention to running filters 24 /7 / 365.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Better yet Mark, what are your thoughts?

I don't agree with the new pond startup paragraph and there are some cold climate caveats that could be added.
There is other information on the website that I would have an issue with.

Reaction score
Nice article as long as no one tells the carp that they can't live if not treated nicely. Here is my take. For centuries koi (carp) have lived and thrived in completely unmanaged waters. Both in nature and in Chinese koi ponds. The only thing that they were given was fresh water and whatever food they were given or scavenged. No chemicals no testing no worrying. Once fat enough they were eaten. So maybe that's the thing, they weren't obsessed over they were eaten. With a pond they don't get fresh water. Give them a partial water change and let nature handle the rest.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is other information on the website that I would have an issue with.

I hadn't viewed the rest of the site until I read the above remark and I must agree with @MitchM . A lot of mis-information, but in all fairness this is sadly typical of many 'Professional'(?) websites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Nice article as long as no one tells the carp that they can't live if not treated nicely. Here is my take. For centuries koi (carp) have lived and thrived in completely unmanaged waters. Both in nature and in Chinese koi ponds. The only thing that they were given was fresh water and whatever food they were given or scavenged. No chemicals no testing no worrying. Once fat enough they were eaten. So maybe that's the thing, they weren't obsessed over they were eaten. With a pond they don't get fresh water. Give them a partial water change and let nature handle the rest.
this reminds me of my great grand father's very old house which had koi in a pond and i never saw any filter or any thing in it as child and they were all active growing and we used to feed them , mystery when i think about it today , it was very very old house older then 120 years and that pond was old too . only thing that i can think of is water changes , can b that at that time there wasnt such technology to filter either no pumps etc
as i understand , we use filter media to mimic surface area i assume in bigger chinese ponds and lakes , the fish per square foot is pretty minute so nature takes care of it , plus fresh water helps . if we have 5000g pond with 2 fishes , we will not need to treat it or filter it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
"Aerated bottom drains are the best way to aerate a pond and improve the efficiency of the bottom drain."
I never thought that aerating the water from a bottom drain, was done to put oxygen in the water, but to cause the water to roll in a torus or donut shape. This bring less oxygenated water from the bottom to the surface to be better oxygenated. Also it sweeps any settlement toward the drain.

" The airflow from the drain does not, as is often claimed, help pull dirt into the bottom drain, but rather encourages dirt to be raised into the airflow from the drain and into the water current so making the pond murky."
If you're getting mulm pulled into the upwelling, You've got you're air cranked up too high IMHO.

Ask a Question