Thread algae in fish pond

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi Everyone, I posted here in I think April 2019 asking for advise re fish pond with thread algae, I would like to thank you all for your very prompt replies. Unfortunately due to an accident my husband was stuck in a chair for nearly 8 months and the fish pond was left to its own devises, thread algea thrived. I kept taking huge clumps of it out throughout the year & as you know it just kept re-appearing. The frogs loved it and the one water snake. To cut a long story short after browsing the Internet we discovered that the use of a small amount of fresh wood ash would eliminate the algea. The other day my husband scattered a small amount of wood ash over the pool. Low & behold the algea has practically gone, it's a miracle.
Just thought I would post this piece of info on here for those of you struggling with this dammed pest.
Thank you again for all your kind advice, sorry it s a little late in coming.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am so sorry to hear about your husband! I hope he is doing better now.

Wood ash you say? Potassium and phosphorus. Not sure how that helped, but I believe you! When you say "small amount" how much are we talking about?

Also - remember that the algae is a symptom of another issue. It's not a problem in and of itself. When you resolve the issue that's allowing it to thrive, it will go away on it's own.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi yes thank you my husband is so much better. I understand that the algea will probably return as we have our water from a canal system which originates at the local river. I think that the farming has changed in the area and that the different fertilizers being used are probably causing the problem. During the summer months I see this algea on the river bank. However as I mentioned the algea has practically disappeared from our pond since the introduction of the wood ash. This will give us a chance to plant some oxygenating pond plants and then restock with fish. My husband threw in approx. a third of a trowel full, sorry it's not more precise. If you look on the Internet, there are measurements mentioned which may help.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 88

Ask a Question