Three of the hundreds of weekend visitors

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Sure wish we had a long range lense for our Nikon. In 18f degree weather this past Sunday we had 100's of birds feeding and drinking from our pond. Our front yard large Burr Oak was filled with big Red Breasted Robins. Wonderful site. Here are three images from Sunday morning.

female cardinal.jpg

bluejay.png

fox squirrel.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very cool! We've got a large family of sparrows that hang out at ours. We also get many Cardinals and Dark Eyed Juncos.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wish I could feed the birds but my cats would spend all their time hunting them down. Cat caught one yesterday and brought it in the garage. I heard the cat yelling at me like she does when she has a prezzie for me. Fortunately this poor bird only lost some feathers and I was able to pick it up and take it far away from kitty and the bird flew away. The cat has a million bells on her collar. She is too good at hunting. She's restricted to our yard only and can't leave the property. Wish the birds would learn her boundaries. Love your pix Lou :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had my friends keep the feeders full during the winter, the birds have been swarming the feeders. Each one holds 20 lbs of food so they do not empty quickly. Love watching the birds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
beautiful Lou :) just love watching the birds and other critters come to feed from our feeders

j.w., just wondering how you keep your cat in your yard?

A few yrs back a neighbor did not like our cat coming to his yard hunting for birds so we had to have the invisible underground fence system put in or he said he would trap the cat. So both of them wear a collar and they know not to go anywhere near the boundaries. It isn't much of a shock as I tried it once myself and it kind of feels like a shock you would get when you have static electricity and touch a car door or something like that. It works great and they have almost a whole acre to roam free If they get too near the boundary line the collar warns them first w/ a beeping sound.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have an outdoor cat that spends her days and some nights on our deck. We built a ladder for her and put a dog house up for her. She sits on the lawn chairs and watches the birds eat her cat food! They are eating 2 bowls a day!

Reaction score
curious - i put store bought bonefide bird food out - and only ONE bird has been seen eating it several weeks ago.
since then - nothing!
and here i was thinking i needed to help out some of the smaller birds who were looking to nest on my roof between the shingles and the siding - was thinking of giving them some bird houses, but if theyre going to be ungrateful... ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You must have a lot of birds mc or really fat big ones

jm those darn birds turning up their nose at your bonifide feed.............maybe they will come for it when Spring arrives and they tell all their friends to come. They will need it when they make nests and feed their babies

Reaction score
i wouldnt be so put out, but its food that no other creature can get to!
actually, some of it might be my fault - i made it hang where only some smaller birds can land safely without them breaking branches :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess you will have to recreate it to attract some others but I know what you mean cuz when I was feeding the birds way back when I would hate when those darn big crows would come and devour all the food up in one hour
They are really smart birds tho:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for the pics, Lou.
Last year I started putting the humming bird feeder out and we got a few who visited us. I'm hoping we have more this year. Our feeder got eated by squirrels a lot of time :(

Reaction score
so when do the hummingbirds come around for people?
here its april-ish time and october-ish time :) for like a couple of weeks...
some stay apparently - but i dont see them

Ask a Question