Thunderstorms, lightening, fish deaths....a relationship?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just to follow up on a recent thread of speculation [regarding the effects of lightening strikes].....

After 2 months of no rain, yesterday afternoon we had a storm of Biblical proportions! Lots of wind damage in our neighborhood, but our street was spared -- Hubby drove home from work and was giving me a blow-by-blow of uprooted trees, etc. as he was taking alternate streets to get to the house.

So, naturally I thought of the pond and the fish. There were numerous silmultaneous thunder/lightening crashes so I know it was close. I just went out and checked on the pond. For once, there wasn't enough rain to cause an overflow, but it is up by several inches. The fish that I could see looked active and normal, and none seemed to be struggling. I didn't see any floaters, but in the past, those tended to show up a day or 2 after the storms passed. I'll wait and see, and report back if things change. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have had at least 5 fairly impressive lightening storms just in the past 2 weeks and all my fish are fine. I would think if the pond gets zapped by lightening it would fry my submersible pumps right? Now you've got me curious...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had a severe storm last night .But I did see the most romantic moment ever this morning .I took the tube to put Aggie back in the pond and tipped the tub in the pond to let her out and she did not go out so Bert swam in and Aggie and him swam out together and have been side by side since ,I sat out there on the bridge and watched them for over an hour as they cuddled each other .. So who says fish don't feel love or lose is crazy .I wish I could have held the camera to video tape it .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Generally speaking, other than lightning strikes, there is absolutely no scientific basis for any relationship between thunderstorms and fish mortality.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see stories here about lightening strikes on farm ponds and actually a couple of years ag when we had the earthquake there was a story on the news about one farmer loosing his farm pond .It just went dry .He said the water was there and had pics and after the quake it was just about drained in a couple of days .He was near the epicenter of it all .I always wondered why some farmers have big metal poles not far from there ponds and found out why .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But wouldn't a lightening strike hitting the pond destroy a pump?
At least a submersible? Although I don't know what you have TM. I just figured I was safe as long as the pumps were... well... pumping.. :ROFLMAO:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
At least a submersible? Although I don't know what you have TM. I just figured I was safe as long as the pumps were... well... pumping.. :ROFLMAO:
I have seen instances where lightning has not only blown out a pump but also melted the GFCI into an unrecognizable lump and not affect the fish. I have also seen cases where the pump and attached wiring was bypassed and the lightning only affected the fish. The explanation for the latter may be that the lightning strike occurs while there is a power loss to the pump.
Here is an example of the randomness (fractal) of a lightning strike after it hits ground.
This-is-what-lightning-does-to-grass.jpg

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Such an awesome shot.
Well since that is something I can't control, (I used to control the weather but gave it up for Lent) I won't worry about it.
I hope your fish are good TM. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
T - Lent was over months ago. We could use some warmer nights here - I've got tomatoes that need ripening!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We would never have believed it possible either , thankfully there were only injuries no mortalities .
I've a feeling the electrics survived because everything is external from the pond plus the electrics were fitted with an anti surge device .
The pond itself is a very thick welded plastic construction and the pump the airpumps etc are all rubber mounted .
But you'd know if the ponds been struck or not by the number of damaged/dead or dying fish you have and they should show a number of symptoms from bleeding under the scales on our albino Aka kigoi and the bent shape of the tail which is th same as our oldest koi's tail bent off to one side the left. plus the head is slightly off to the right on our oldest koi with the last koi having what looked to be a black hole in the middle of a once white area [not a shimmy] .
Also you try to explain it away by saying no it couldnt have been lightening perhaps it was this but the injuries etc point right back to a strike not directly to the pond but a strike that has used the ground as a conduit to the pond ..

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My thinking was that a lightening strike would kill all the fish, not just an isolated one or 2. But did some reading and it can kill selectively, depending on how close the fish were to the "strike zone." Never even thought about the pump, geesh! Mine are submerged.

Ask a Question