timberlock screws not going into sleepers!!

Reaction score
im trying to fix together some Untreated Reclaimed African Azobe, its been left out in the elements all winter. heard its a hard hardwood but this is silly.

timberlocks i got are 30cm-ish long cos of the way im stacking them. Tried WD40 and they still jam sooo tight. Yet to get one in properly. Mini torque wrench them after the drill jams, and they have been snapping, either head or shaft of them.

Only thing i could think of is getting a bloomin long drillbit and predrilling a hole nearly all the way, leaving just the 2" for the thread to bite into.

any other ideas??

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I pilot hole smaller than the screw would let it go all the way down a little easier

Reaction score
cheers buddy, seems thats the way forward.

recon the woods got too wet and started to swell. Pretty awesome getting the azobe, hardest wearing sleeper wood in europe. one fixed shouldnt be going anywhere!!

Reaction score
If you still have trouble, try using a air compressed torque wrench, and pre-drill....it will save you time and some energy.

Reaction score
right, just ordered the most expensive drillbit ive ever had to buy.... not happy!! 250mm x 6mm timberbit. Will try predrilling 10", allowing me to slide the bolt in most the way, leaving the thread to bite and tighten alone.

Reaction score
The joys of building a pond! I always run into something that ends costing me a ton when I built mine and when I help others. I think it comes with the pond....hope all turns out well, and keep updating us. It will be interesting to see a pond with timbers on the side.

Ask a Question