Time to plant the bog , i'd like to do it wisely. What would you plant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My thought is to use plants with a deeper root system. but what plants are considered the best at filtering and oxygenating. everyone keeps leaning toward the duck weed, lettuce and hyacinth. i'm leaning toward sagittaria latifolia /duck potato and obedient flower or Physostegia leptophylla. are these good filter feeders or am I better off with grasses/ sages or rushes.?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I use iris, creeping jenny, water forget me not, chameleon plant, canna, hibiscus, bog bean, golden club in the bog.

My thoughts on filtering nutrient absorbing plants are the faster they grow the more nutrients they pull out. I use quick growing plants ( water celery, bog bean, water forget me not) that are easy to thin out for nutrient export. Water celery grows like a weed, but I like the way it softens the edge of the pond and gives frogs and other wildlife something to hide in besides the rocks.

Only advice is avoid water celery in the bog as it will be hard to control. Same with yellow flag iris.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
liriope grows great in a bog. Stays nice and short. Most of my bog plants are tall.
Water willow is a neat plant 12 inches tall and neat purple flowers.
Obedient plant, not obedient, but beautiful purple flowers.
Marsh betony, tall purple flowers
Iris
lizard tail, easy to control, just yank out
Rush sends roots deep, at least mine does, and hard to remove once it does.
spider wort grows great in the bog, neat purple flowers that the bees love.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have Horsetail (Eqisetum hyemale) in a small bog (picture below) that is easy to grow. It is very hardy and evergreen. One downside is that it is invasive so containment is a consideration.
Stephen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, I didn't properly upload the image above. Here we go...

Attachments

• Horsetail Rush photo by Stephen Noble.JPG
    Horsetail Rush photo by Stephen Noble.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 399
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love horsetail rush - or scouring rush as it's sometimes called - but it is indeed invasive. I have some growing in my small stream. The good news is it's easy to remove... if you catch it before it weighs 100 lbs! Mine came out in one giant clump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use iris, creeping jenny, water forget me not, chameleon plant, canna, hibiscus, bog bean, golden club in the bog.

My thoughts on filtering nutrient absorbing plants are the faster they grow the more nutrients they pull out. I use quick growing plants ( water celery, bog bean, water forget me not) that are easy to thin out for nutrient export. Water celery grows like a weed, but I like the way it softens the edge of the pond and gives frogs and other wildlife something to hide in besides the rocks.

Only advice is avoid water celery in the bog as it will be hard to control. Same with yellow flag iris.
are you using the garden variety cannas and hibiscus? Do you dig them up in the fall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
liriope grows great in a bog. Stays nice and short. Most of my bog plants are tall.
Water willow is a neat plant 12 inches tall and neat purple flowers.
Obedient plant, not obedient, but beautiful purple flowers.
Marsh betony, tall purple flowers
Iris
lizard tail, easy to control, just yank out
Rush sends roots deep, at least mine does, and hard to remove once it does.
spider wort grows great in the bog, neat purple flowers that the bees love.
Can you just use the Lily Turf from places like HomeDepot or are they a special variety?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
are you using the garden variety cannas and hibiscus? Do you dig them up in the fall?
I just let them die, after a few frosts i yank them out.

The hibiscus I have is called pink swirl, it made it through the winter. The cannas I guess are the garden variety, dont really plant them in the terrestrial gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I currently have iris , corkscrew rush and creeping jenny in mine

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you just use the Lily Turf from places like HomeDepot or are they a special variety?
We got the liriope from home depot or Lowes, just what they sold. It grows great.

Ask a Question